Adaptive Headlights on Gen 3…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hpschrank

Reaction score
I have Gen 3 with 802A package that comes with adaptive headlights. My question to the experts is…What’s adaptive about them? Do they switch between low and high beams when they detect approaching vehicles…..do they rotate left/right to direct light around corner as your turning….do they adjust angle up/Down so if your towing/hauling and the back of truck gets pushed down and points lights up it adjusts for that……all 3 of these things or none of the above?? Thanks!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m guessing you mean 801A? There is no 802A package on Gen 3. Here’s the description and operation from Workshop Manual:

“The high series LED headlamps are equipped with adaptive front lighting. Depending on the inputs received (steering wheel angle and vehicle speed for example), the HCM can command the angle at which the headlamps are aimed (left or right) to improve nighttime visibility around curves. Adaptive front lighting is only activated when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.”

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instead of being straight the entire time, they rotate left and right depending on the direction you are turning. it allows for better light to where your going instead of where you were going. I have had them on my BMW's for years and when you are used to them and then you don't have them, it is very noticeable. Kinda like going from a heads up display to no heads up.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes to the above. moves left and right slightly as you turn. if any of you car nuts remember the Tucker.

pay no attention to the for sale. just tried to get a pic of the car.

that was probably first adaptive headlight. way ahead of his time. the center headlight turned the direction you were going. all the other automotive companies bought up his suppliers so he couldn't get product. and went out of business. bummer

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine also level up and down slightly. When I start the truck at night they do a little dance and and level out. Probably only notice as I’m in the center of a cul de sac and my driveway is inclined. I had a heavy load and still had to adjust the headlights with a screwdriver to bring them down so they don’t move very much in the up down position automatically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter