A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Didn't you read my thesis?! :) It happens on '10's as well. But I do wonder if it's more pronounced in crew cabs.

Thesis lol - if ya don't like that length of post, then stay the hell away from the 'Offroading' section!

I have a 2010 and the lube fixed it so far - but I have a similar problem which feels more like tranny. First gear trips into second, and can sometimes clunk out of it. It's not like the slip-yoke problem where I was experiencing 'wind-up' before things would engage. Again, I'll get it in when I get time next week and post up the fix on this thread.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Well I know you said 11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3, and so on but I haven't really heard much from people with the 2010 "RAPTORS"or I'm just blind.To me it seems A LOT of 2011's are having this issue more so.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Well I know you said 11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3, and so on but I haven't really heard much from people with the 2010 "RAPTORS"or I'm just blind.To me it seems A LOT of 2011's are having this issue more so.

Do we not ALL have a warranty? Clunk a freakin away! Its a long ass drive shaft on the Screws, My 2004 FX4 did it for most of its 92,000 miles and it did not break or leave me stranded ONCE! It scared me a few times when I hammerd it fron 60 or 70 pulling my trailer and it shook like a bitch on her 4th orgasam in 3 minutes but it NEVER BROKE. Its not an issue to me.

ANYONE HAVE THAT SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER HANDY????? HAhahaaaaaaa.

BDRAG

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
The TSB related to the driveline clunk is 10-22-6 it replaces TSB 09-25-5. The TSB is strictly for 09-10 f-150's built before 12/01/2009. I have a 2010 Raptor and have never had the driveline clunk with 14k on it. If I do have it I don't notice it. The TSB does state that the old grease needs to be cleaned off completely before new grease can be applied. As well as at least half a tube of lube should be used to properly cover all splines to fix the clunk. As stated above the tsb isn't going to fix every problem but should help out. I have done several, I usually use almost entire contents of lubricant out of the tube and never have had any trouble with the problem returning. There is another tech I have seen who has done some repeatedly but from my observation he only was lightly coating the new grease on without removing the old grease. I know all the ones I have done I haven't seen any issues since that I have heard of and we are the only dealership for hundred miles. If anyone can't access the TSB I stated above and would like to see what it is and read for your own eyes send me your email address and I can send out to those who will like.

Last edited:

jdowens1

Reaction score
After reading the post again I noticed most people that have a clunking concern with the driveline are driving 2011. The TSB I mentioned earlier doesn't apply to the 2011 models. doesn't mean it isn't the same problem. I was just browsing to make sure all 2011 f-150 models only have one TSB out at this time which is related to compass. I did however look at Fords symptom chart for driveline clunk when coming to stop or starting out.

1. worn u-joints or excessive u-joint play
2. loose axle mount
3. loose or missing fasteners

Its not a lot the TSB might include 2011 shortly. I just wanted to address that last thing on
the TSB

Edit #4. I did find a case of customers with what was thought to be driveline concern with the problem was the rear differential from the assembly plant. The problem was the clutches inside the carrier weren't shimmed correctly not allowing rear wheels to turn at different speeds. Once the clutch packs were properly shimmed it was recorded to fix customers concern of the clunk. Ford raptor with ELD don't have clutch pack but shimming for proper clearance is same theory.

Last edited:

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Mine definitely has the clunk. It seems worse sometimes than others. I need to find time to take it to the dealer and see if the lube resolves the issue.

jefros

Reaction score
Dealer refuses to work on "clunk"

I have a 2011 Raptor super crew. I brought it in yesterday to the dealer to get its first oil change (2k miles), adjust alignment (steering wheel was turned to the right), and for them to address the dreaded "clunk" that I am hearing. After five hours, I left there with my oil change, the steering wheel now turned to the left (over-corrected), and there condolences on my "clunk". They said that Ford knows their is a problem. That they are working on it but since their is not a TSB, they can not do anything about it! They said they would be in touch!! WTF Does this sound right? I was less then happy when I left the dealer.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '10 and it has the clunk-intermittently. I will mention it when I go in for my next service but I don’t hold a lot of hope in getting it actually fixed,(based on the results reported here).
I had a '99 Ranger that had everything replaced with "updated" parts in attempt to fix its clunk. What finally fixed it was trading it in a Jeep Rubicon. What I find strange is that none of the F-350-F-250's I have had has had a clunk. So, what is different with the Ranger / F-150's? (My Ranger had a two piece driveline, so I don’t think that’s it).

jdowens1

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Raptor super crew. I brought it in yesterday to the dealer to get its first oil change (2k miles), adjust alignment (steering wheel was turned to the right), and for them to address the dreaded "clunk" that I am hearing. After five hours, I left there with my oil change, the steering wheel now turned to the left (over-corrected), and there condolences on my "clunk". They said that Ford knows their is a problem. That they are working on it but since their is not a TSB, they can not do anything about it! They said they would be in touch!! WTF Does this sound right? I was less then happy when I left the dealer.

I know there is no tsb out for the 11 yet, but Ford can still do something about the sound on your vehicle. I don't want to put any dealer down but they don't need a tsb to look at your vehicle especially at 2k. I would go to another dealer nearby if you can possibly. reguardless of TSB or not they still can R&R your driveshaft and lube it up just under your standard warranty 12k/12month warranty EVERYTHING is covered unless otherwise abused or modified. Sorry to hear you didn't get it fixed but dealers can still do what they need.