650 Miles and a cracked Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
Update:
Ford rep called yesterday to inform me that my local dealer received the new transmission Wednesday and they are supposed to receive the seals today. He told me that because of the problems I’ve experienced he is “authorized” to offer me either an extended power train warranty 7 years / 200k miles OR an extended service service plan 5 years / 70k miles. I explained that I’ve now owned the truck for almost 3 months and have only been able to drive it for about 2 weeks, would they take care of some payments. His response was he was not authorized to compensate me for any payments. When I asked if they would give me both the extended power train and extended service plan he again said he was not authorized to do that. I told him to email me an overview of what Ford is offering me, that was about 24 hrs ago and I’ve still not received an email.

It’s strange because when I met with the service manager at my dealer he was the one who mentioned the idea of extended warranties and taking care of a few payments. There is some sort of depreciated value that I will incur because of this kind of repair and personally I think what they are offering is not fair compensation.

It seems like the truck should be ready tomorrow if they really do get the seals in today. Do I need to negotiate with ford prior to taking the truck or is something that I can continue to discuss with Ford?

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How is that not fair for something that went wrong and was fixed free of charge? They’re offering that because of your time without the truck.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take the extended powertrain warranty and the repaired truck. Move on, it's not that big of a deal.

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does the OP plan on keeping the truck?....Also are warranty transferable?

It could help you with resell value if you don't plan on keeping the truck for 200K.

Mike

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
200k powertrain. bad as hell. just make sure their ****** up wording includes turbos in the powetrain.....

also beat the shit out of it now, its all covered hahaha.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
It’s reallly not a 200k mile warranty. Will you actually put that many miles on it in 7 years? For me, that would only amount to 70k miles at best.
.... UNLESS it is a “whichever comes LAST” scenario.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
I highly doubt I will keep the truck for 7 years or 200k, however if it’s transferable that would certainly help with resale. I still have yet to see anything in writing and as someone mentioned I would hope a power train warranty woild cover the turbos.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@MJslasherADMIN types the words of truth. Take the warranty, don’t chase the payments.

Legally, they are not obligated to provide you anything more than a repair within 31 calendar days to remedy the issue. That’s it. the manufacturer is not on the hook for any extra expenses whatsoever. Anything that the manufacturer offers you beyond the repair is customer goodwill effort. I realize, fully, that this may not be “right” in every circumstance.

While the customer service field generally gets a bad rap, usually from bad experiences with consumer grade products, major manufacturer customer service folks do actually find it really hard to not empathize with a customer in this kind of situation. A lot of times, the CS staff are advocating for a lot more than is permitted. For a moment, put yourself into the shoes of the C/S rep listening to you recount that you’ve owned the truck and paid for it for nn months, but you’ve only been able to use it for 2 weeks ! ! ! How could you not be sympathetic to this? You could be unsympathetic if the customer is the archetypical new yawker / new jersian who thinks the world owes them... but otherwise you are probably affected by this. The CS types are too. That said, they are constrained by their employment agreement ! They aren’t permitted to help you beyond what corporate says is permissible.

Think about something else for a while and review the situation again when you’ve had a chance to clear your head. Objectively evaluate the offer and take whatever they’re offering. Neither of the offers affects your ability to sue under the lemon law should the truck become a problem child.

good luck.

Schmagagled

Reaction score
I would take the maintenance plan over the extended warranty anyday. You're going to have a warranty on the repairs they did anyway, along with the standard warranty.

But the (extended) maintenance plan could be worth more to you in the long run. Especially if you plan to trade the vehicle in 3-4 years. That extended powertrain warranty won't do you nearly as much good as somebody doing routine maintenance for all that time without costing you a dime in the process.

S.