650 Miles and a cracked Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, on a typical trade in, your trade is devalued at a non-linear, but basically understandable rate. The first year is typically the most brutal, but in your case you have minimal mileage on the clock. If Ford won’t spring for a buy back, ask them and the dealer to facilitate a new order with your truck at a specific trade in value arranged now. Basically if they won’t spring for a buy back pitch in a minimal amount, they cover some and you trade up to a newer, hopefully less troublesome unit. Or, if your so inclined some other vehicle. After all, if they’re so confident a repair will be successful, they should have no trouble selling the unit 2nd hand. This method has a benefit for them in that it would not be flagged as a manufacturer buy back or lemon law vehicle. The good thing about going through a lawsuit is that in at least some states the vehicle turned back into the manufacturer or bought back, is legally required to be identified on the vehicle title and/or sale documents indicating the vehicle was purchased back by the manufacturer.

I’d be surprised if Ford would spring for any sort of customer goodwill efforts yet, they’ve only really had one bite at the apple. Likely the dealer messed up the first time and now Ford is involved. They know they have to replace a part. They’re probably going to say “we will replace the part.”

I think if I were in your shoes, having been in those shoes before, I’d probably ask them to cover a vehicle if the repair takes longer than 14 days.
This way, you add numbers to your potential future claim now. that is, if you’ve been down 30 days already with no payment from Ford or loaner vehicle, you keep racking up days down for a potential lawsuit if you need to.
If you suffer another powertrain related failure, doesn’t even have to be the transmission, you’ve given them 2 bites at the apple already. You’re in a better position to demand Ford make the purchase right by replacement.

Anyway... good luck!

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. I wouldnt mess with an attorney yet. But you can call a couple to see what they say. All 50 states have lemon laws and lemon law attorneys cost the customer no out of pocket. And they dont take a portion of your claim. All fees are paid by Ford in this case. If you lose your case the attorney doesnt get paid. This is why lemon law attorneys only take cases they can win. And when you call one for advice its honest advice.

You could go pay an attorney if you wanted I guess. But no need in that.

1ee3684c94e1fcbd9796d3233c088dd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP - When you have an hour to spare before bed, read my thread from start to finish. I think it will really help.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, and again, thank you for all your help!

Smurf Killer and others provide super invaluable info in that thread.

ETA on your 10 speed? Tranny not bicycle. Ugh, transmission, not transgender. Ok, I will stop.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
Ford Rep called Friday and basically reiterated what he has already said, will have an answer on a buy back Wednesday. I’m fully expecting it to be turned down.

Still no ETA on the tranny, and he couldn’t promise he had the ability to pull one from the line.

He said the guaranteed trade would have to go through the dealer.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI. I wouldnt mess with an attorney yet. But you can call a couple to see what they say. All 50 states have lemon laws and lemon law attorneys cost the customer no out of pocket. And they dont take a portion of your claim. All fees are paid by Ford in this case. If you lose your case the attorney doesnt get paid. This is why lemon law attorneys only take cases they can win. And when you call one for advice its honest advice.

You could go pay an attorney if you wanted I guess. But no need in that.

1ee3684c94e1fcbd9796d3233c088dd1.jpg

With an important caveat. If you lose the case, you may not have to pay your attorney, but you could potentially be responsible for Ford's attorney fees.