6.2 Exhaust Shoot Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
OK, have the MagnaFlow cat-back in place. 2011 6.2 SCAB. Sounds good at start-up and under good acceleration, but at light acceleration, around 30-40 MPH there is a flutter type noise. Almost sound like a standing wave oscillation. Anybody else have this? Is this normal? Is there a break-in period? Would long-tube header make this better or worse?

Thanks

I have that noise too - it almost sounds like a gasket leak but it's not ( I thoroughly checked and so did the tech's at Ford). It's just the way it sounds with that setup. I'm no expert, but any change in lengths of pipe will modify the sound - I just don't think you can make it go away.

First Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make you appreciate how well the stock exhaust worked.

Does other cat-backs have the same issue? Was thinking of switching to Borla cat-back.

Anybody with a Borla cat-back want to weight in?

First Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JP, thats why I was thinking of the long-tube headers, perhaps would help, hate to do it if will make it worse though.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
JP, thats why I was thinking of the long-tube headers, perhaps would help, hate to do it if will make it worse though.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think longer tubes would make it go away - they would just make it sound different.

In a few weeks, I'll have the second Magnapack installed so I have true dual from the cats back. I'll be sure to post before and after vids here so you can see the difference.

I expect to see a minor difference in power too - hopefully more at the 3500-4000 rpm area.

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
Make sure and x pipe it and you'll see more than what u want

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure which way to go now... great vids.

I don't want to spend $1200-1500 for an exhaust...

I had dual DHM cutouts on my 2008 Z06, that was wicked loud!

I think I'm going to go with a DHM single cut out and/or just a magnaflow muffler swap?

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DMH. If you wanna hear mine we can meet up somewhere.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Not sure which way to go now... great vids.

I don't want to spend $1200-1500 for an exhaust,

I am a cheap bastard and just had the FLOWMASTER 44 installed in place of the OEM muffler. Its got great sound but is not head pounding on the hyway. $200.00 installed. It will let ya play and make noise and who knows, may even give ya a few ponies.

I ran head to head with a local Raptor SCREW with a chip and he is half my weight. I weigh 330 lbs and have 75 lbs of towing crap under the seat. Dead stop to 80-90 he had me by 1 to 1 1/2 lengths. We switched trucks and it was basically even. His weight and my chains in mine and me in his was almost a dead even payload. So did my muffler help or did his chip not help that much? You tell me. Mine atleast made more noise! HAhahaaa.

BDRAG