5 Star tune & custom tune on dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get an expanded PIDs list for datalogging more points. I just find my nGuage kinda temperamental, often stops the logging on its own, assume its loosing obd signal... Anyone else see this? Hope to do more of my own logs during next dyno pulls to hopefully better understand why pull #s may be varying.

Max boost for me in 93perf mode has typically only been mid to high 18s, not figuring spikes (Midwest, ~700ft elev, so summer DA 2000+). Friends running deltaboost controllers, are supposedly seeing 20-21lbs, but obviously the flash tunes are making smoother/safer power. I expect if i did make closer to 20lbs i might be getting closer to the stated advertised power #s...

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know 20lbs of boost seems like a lot to throw at one of these engines. Has anybody ripped one apart to see how stout the intervals are. i mean 11-12 psi boost on the stock 6.2 then things start get sketchy higher than that

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know 20lbs of boost seems like a lot to throw at one of these engines. Has anybody ripped one apart to see how stout the intervals are. i mean 11-12 psi boost on the stock 6.2 then things start get sketchy higher than that

Two different ballgames with an NA engine vs factory FI engine. These 3.5L HO Ecos make 18 psi right out of the box. The block is beefy, forged crank and rods and everything is designed for boost, including piston oil squirters and tall ring lands on the pistons (they aren't forged though).

No one really knows where the new HO Eco will pop, it clearly is designed for more boost than the base 2nd Gen 3.5L with it's lower compression ratio (10:1 vs 10.5:1), but to what degree remains a mystery. Max boost could be close to that engine or it could be closer to the GT's engine.

This is a tangent but also some interesting info... Turbocharging is easier on an engine than supercharging at a given power level. You have greatly increased residual cylinder pressure due to the compressors on the exhaust side, this acts as a cushion while the piston is on it's exhaust stroke and reduces the strain on your rotating assembly at high RPM, and also reduces the crank load by lowering the differential from one rod/piston to the next. You also do not have the harmonics and load on the snout of the crank from the supercharger belt drive.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to do some nGuage datalogs in stock form to compare boost levels but its tough to go back to stock :biggrin: I thought our stock levels were in the 14-15 range though, so didnt think this was too extreme

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a few full throttle runs today and 2 times I hit fuel cutoff in auto mode. I am wondering how much safer it is. I can safely say the truck is much faster.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a few full throttle runs today and 2 times I hit fuel cutoff in auto mode. I am wondering how much safer it is. I can safely say the truck is much faster.
What do you mean wizo? Full runs where and what fuel cutoff?

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I floored it and it ran up against the rev limiter in second gear and it was like slamming into a wall for a sec

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you’re hitting the rev limiter / fuel cut in automatic, where I’m from, we call that a “clue”.

Your shift points aren’t correct

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re hitting the rev limiter / fuel cut in automatic, where I’m from, we call that a “clue”.

Your shift points aren’t correct

Agreed....

He's having issues for sure. I've not encountered such a thing with my tune.