4x4 popping grinding..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 6.2 170k miles no issues
2H smooth no issues

north Texas we had some icy conditions I rarely use 4x4 but this morning decided to switch it over to 4H. Never had any issues w engaging and being in 4x4.

Today got a wrench and and “check 4x4”

could hear it engage and seemed to be in 4x4 so keep it in and keep it about 15-20 mph for about 3 miles no issues. Switched back to 2H drove perfect.*( did get traction control off for a second and It went away and never gave me another message ) Turned off truck let sit about an hour got back in drove a bit put it in 4H no wrench seemed to be good to go.

put it in reverse in 4x4 (idk if this is a no no I’m not the brightest in the 4x4 aspect) and had some nasty popping sounds put in drive noticed little pop and some grinding whirling type sounds and those are constant in 4H.

No wrench engaging fine into 4x4 as of now just a nasty popping and grinding sounds In drive 4x4.

Have searched iwe, vaccum lines, transfer case issues.... again I’m not good w mechanical aspect

does this sounds like anything familiar thank you guys in advance!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it popping and grinding when you are idling in gear or when you are moving? If you stick your head out the window, does it sound like it's coming from the front wheels or under your ass?

OP
OP
TexasWFraptor

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popping and grinding while in motion popping seems to a bit more when in reverse. For sure sounds to be coming from the front end

OP
OP
TexasWFraptor

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had new stock ball joints and tie rods put on and have never really off-road them at all about a year ago. Also this is same Truck that u figured out had the gen2 shock swap if U remember that.

OP
OP
TexasWFraptor

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have researched and will search forum but if you don’t mind what goes wrong w iwe’s I really don’t even know what that is

OP
OP
TexasWFraptor

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir you sir have saved me a few times already and I appreciate ya!

Also I get nothing popping or anything grinding in 2H turning and everything feels fine would a cv boot cause issues in 2H?

also I have a peddle commander I’m sure that has nothing to do I just thought I’d through that out there with some people having issues w them.