4x4 popping grinding..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mobob

Reaction score
Did you check the vacuum at the IWE? With it being below freezing, did you have water in the vacuum line frozen up not allowing the IWE to engage? If the vacuum will not release when you switch to 4x4, then the hub won’t engage fully. If you disconnect the vacuum line, which should engage the hub, and still have the noise, then the IWE is probably bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a simple check for your truck. In neutral, 2wd, in a flat open parking lot, keep your truck idling in neutral. hop out go to a front corner and spin a wheel. if the cv axle is spinning forwards in 2wd, the iwe is bad. if its spinning backwards, its still good. if they are both spinning forwards, check your check valve or lines.

OP
OP
TexasWFraptor

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys off this weekend and will be looking more in-depth and will
Keep thread posted hopefully if weather permits I’ll get to check it out this weekend.
This forum is the bees knees and I truly appreciate the time and knowledge!

OP
OP
TexasWFraptor

TexasWFraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have been engaging 4x4 daily past three days and had zero issues. I’m chalking it up to not using and switching it on enough as of now. I plan on changing iwe check valve and line just as maintenance having 170k miles. I will just pay attention and make sure I don’t get the popping grinding coming back. Thank you guys for all the quick replies down in Texas we are having unusual weather my son and I went out and had some fun today! 4x4 worked perfect!

005712B0-06D3-4935-BF8E-4C739EB34620.jpeg

849411D0-2831-4990-A7AE-9694FA269968.jpeg