4R for Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to hear opinions from those of you experiencing a similar family size.

My family is me, my wife, our 2 40lbs wheaten terriers and a little human due in December.

A couple years ago I got a Lexus NX, which was supposed to be our family car. We like to go on trips together for a week or so at a time. Packing the NX for that gave us no room (back was full, one dog is a front seat dog, the other sits in the back and stuff was even packed around him). So It was traded in within 9 months for a 4Runner I bought in march of 2016.

The 4R was chosen for the additional space and the potential 3rd row. Now, we haven't used the 3rd row yet, tho it was intended to keep our dog from trampling a child in the middle of the car. However, the trailer towing capacity is limited to 4,800lbs and pretty much kills our idea for a camping trailer.

So why am I mentioning this? Because i have loved Raptors forever, and I have the opportunity to flip the 4R for a Raptor. However, I'm wondering if it will meet my needs. I would be looking at a crew cab.

For those in a similar situation of family size, have you found a Raptor to meet your needs without running out of room? The crew cab is rather large, but would everyone be squished when a car seat is added to the equation? Does the utility of the bed compensate for this?

Just looking for some input. Thank you!

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a gen 1 Crew and it has plenty of room for the wife and I and two car seats. Dogs sit on the floor. No problems here.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 17 screw raptor to replace the 14 screw heavy duty lariat that replaced the 05 screw f150. we are an anti minivan family truck family. i have put 3 recaro car seats side by side in the back of my 14. and can do it when needed with the 17. it is the only vehicle i have personally seen that can hold all 3 side by side. well any f series screw really. you could go scab but i caution u that my 3yo can kick the back of my seat in a screw lol.

on long trips my wife rides center rear between the 2 recaro seats for my 2 full time boys. plenty of room for stuff on the floor and in the covered bed.

i will caution u the screw raptor is rated at 8k lbs max towing. but several trailers are in that class for a decent price. wife decided she wasn't into glamping so we went raptor for family toy/truck.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No doubt tons of real estate. The first time we were going to the shore with my wife and twin boys and we were packed for the beach...my wife looked at me and said "its nice not have all the junk inside the truck" On top of it we picked my mother in law furniture pieces and brought them back to her house and still nothing inside the cab...

Bonebreak3r

Reaction score
I would agree. I have 3 car seats that fit very easily. The truck has tons of back seat room. Put a bed cover on and you have plenty of storage space. I have a 2017 screw.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses, I greatly appreciate it.

It appears many of you have a lot more space commitments and making it work without a problem. Where are you putting the strollers and baby bags when the interior seating is full? In the bed? How does that work in the winter? No concern of those things freezing?

duke92

Reaction score
I would echo the above. The passenger seating in the screw is huge. On long trips, my older children complain the rear seats don't recline making it a bit uncomfortable. If you pack luggage inside it will compromise leg room. Therefor a good tonneau cover is a must allowing you to pack the bed and avoid rain, wind, theft. I added a retrax pro to mine and love it.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should go sit in a truck. You will be astounded at the amount of space in the screw.

You'll have zero issues going to the truck.