37s for winter snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you NEED a 37” tire due to suspension changes or b/c of current wheel sized or just for looks? Are you running a separate set of winter wheels?

I live in MA & travel to ski country regularly in winter storms along w/ going down to cape cod to clear my mother’s driveway & travel for work all over the eastern seaboard/Midwest

There is no substitute for a proper winter tire, so if that’s what your goal is- forget about it, & anyone telling you otherwise is either misinformed and/or has never experienced the confidence/control/awesomeness of driving a lifted 4x4 truck on snow tires....esp studded snows...in winter. I would pass hwy plow trucks in white our blizzard conditions in northern NH/ME cruising @ 55-60 in 4HI on studded snows in my previous GMC

I can’t even imagine how nasty the raptor will be this winter on the Nokians I picked up 315/70r17 wrapped around the base 17” wheels (got the forged beadlocks for the BFGs)

Sounds like you’re in legit snow country....you may look good on 37” MTs, but I’ll gladly pull you outta the ditch w/ my truck on 35” nokian studded snows once they get snow packed & hard as rocks in 0 degree weather ;-)
My truck is on 37s currently with McNeil 2+2 fenders and method beadlocks and suspension upgrades. I had trouble last season getting up to the hunting cabin with the oem shit 35”tires, 37s would give me more ground clearance. I built my truck for off-road and use it for such. I’ve lived in this area my whole life and always get quality snow tires, it’s worth every penny. I drive fast but not reckless, I’m the guy that doesn’t slow down for snow. I got my girlfriend Nokian hakkapeliitta for her legacy, so I’m aware of how great they are. Almost forgot that I’ll be mounting what I get for winter on oem wheels

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before any of the mods. Could only stop in this wind blown spot so I didn’t get stuck. BB2D8CD5-CD3C-4D1F-B34F-5E01278A019F.jpeg76FA3F0E-2D28-4BDA-8B26-82F12928E7E3.jpeg

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean if the main issue is getting stuck in snow covered off-road trails or rural roads you could always try some chains, but of course may not be legal or suitable for normal driving on regular city roads/highways.

If it’s any concession the nokians in 315/70r17 look like they’re 1/2” taller compared to the stock BFGs (which I think maybe on the shorter side for 35” anyhow) you may lose a little ride height/ground clearance but you’re already plenty high w/ lift as it is, I don’t think they’ll look too small based on your pics - Although a straight side shot would give a better idea- I think they more noticeable difference aesthetically would be a much less aggressive tread design relative to a dedicated off-road tire- however as far as snow tires go they do look pretty beefy IMO.

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean if the main issue is getting stuck in snow covered off-road trails or rural roads you could always try some chains, but of course may not be legal or suitable for normal driving on regular city roads/highways.

If it’s any concession the nokians in 315/70r17 look like they’re 1/2” taller compared to the stock BFGs (which I think maybe on the shorter side for 35” anyhow) you may lose a little ride height/ground clearance but you’re already plenty high w/ lift as it is, I don’t think they’ll look too small based on your pics - Although a straight side shot would give a better idea- I think they more noticeable difference aesthetically would be a much less aggressive tread design relative to a dedicated off-road tire- however as far as snow tires go they do look pretty beefy IMO.
37s give extra clearance for sure. No way to beat the nokians!!

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
35s will look tiny but I don’t care what it looks like. I like the idea of extra clearance for deep snow with 37s.

Last edited:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your Gen2 looks good with the 2 + 2s and your 37s! How much were the McNeils and would you do them again?

Also, I noticed your Avatar still has your Gen 1 pic! ;)

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your Gen2 looks good with the 2 + 2s and your 37s! How much were the McNeils and would you do them again?

Also, I noticed your Avatar still has your Gen 1 pic! ;)
Very happy with the McNeil fenders! I’m tempted to do bedsides. Love the Mickey Thompson mtz p3 tires. Loved my gen1!!! Had to part ways before the ny rust got too bad. Fender were 500 + shipping.

Reaction score
I work on Tug Hill live in the Watertown area and ran OEM BFG's on my 18' last year. I'm sure there might be better but it's the best I've ever experienced in the snow.