2022 Toyota Tundra TRD "Kinda" Off-Road Flex Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had 2, if they fixed the AFM hardware id be interested

While they don't look anywhere near as good as any of the Raptors. I'd say they have GM beat lol

View attachment 342346
I thought the GM trucks were ugly at first. However, they've grown on me, and I think they look good except for the HD models which still just look awkward. The new T*rd looks like every other toyota, as if it took an uppercut to the chin and pushed the lighting to the top while expanding the ridiculous size of the grille. The only positive thing I can say it's unmistakably a Toyota, instead of a design ripoff of a Ford/GM/RAM which is what the 2016 Titan was.

MyLord

Reaction score
Along with other vehicles, I have owned:
1991 Toyota V6 Xtracab SR5 4x4
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4

like all vehicles, none were perfect but all were completely reliable. Never had a break down and only loosely followed scheduled maintenance intervals .. 10k for oil, etc.
Took long highway trips, a lot off-roading on jeep trails in the Sierra Nevadas and Rockies, high speed driving on no roads across the So Cal desert, etc.

I'm getting old and decided I wanted a new truck with all kinds of capability and updated technology .. nothing wrong with my 2007 Tundra RCSB, 5.7 liter, 4.30 10.5 rear, locking diff, 2.5" lift w/ 285/75/18 Duratracs, 107k miles. Considered the Raptor, Tremor, TRX and 2022 TRD Pro. Swaying me toward the TRD Pro is that in my experience Toyota makes a capable, reliable vehicle. At close to 100% of off-roading ability is a butt-puckering experience with my 2007 Tundra RCSB so I feel any of my choices would meet my current off-roading needs though not too excited about the extra width of the Raptor when on thickly forested narrow trails.

I don't beleive Toyota engineers were targeting Raptor buyers when they designed the TRD Pro .. I think their intended market is people buying F-150s, Chevy's and Dodges with 4x4 packages (small lift, 33" tires, etc)

Obviously went with the 2021 Raptor and am very happy w/ zero regrets right now. Hoping the Raptor is as reliable as my Toyota.
Def can’t knock on their bulletproof 5.7 engine trans they had in the tundra/landcruiser/sequoia. I had a 2019 Landcruiser and i regret selling it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Def can’t knock on their bulletproof 5.7 engine trans they had in the tundra/landcruiser/sequoia. I had a 2019 Landcruiser and i regret selling it.
"Bulletproof" not realistic nor accurate. They are notorious for cam tower oil leaks (profitable job CP), air injection pump failures, starter failures (under the intake manifold), camshaft failures (earlier models), excessive oil consumption (rings & PCV), and valve spring failures at higher (100k+) miles. Many Toyota owners are so clueless that if you're an unethical shop you can name your price, because they're brainwashed that it's "an anomaly" and if they spend the absorbent amount of money to fix it they'll never need to buy another vehicle because it will "last forever". You can't fix stupid, but you can earn an honest living off of them.

Last edited:

Bugzuki

Reaction score
Scathing and true. I think Taco owners are more annoying than Tundra owners tho. Did I see correctly that the put marker lights like a raptor on the hood?
Yeah they said that it is so wide that they had to put the lights on it.. I don't think the trd pro is any wider than the regular truck. But I didn't look up the dimensions.

20leadfoot

Reaction score
"Bulletproof" not realistic nor accurate. They are notorious for cam tower oil leaks (profitable job CP), air injection pump failures, starter failures (under the intake manifold), camshaft failures (earlier models), excessive oil consumption (rings & PCV), and valve spring failures at higher (100k+) miles. Many Toyota owners are so clueless that if you're an unethical shop you can name your price, because they're brainwashed that it's "an anomaly" and if they spend the absorbent amount of money to fix it they'll never need to buy another vehicle because it will "last forever". You can't fix stupid, but you can earn an honest living off of them.
We get it, you don't like Toyotas. I currently own a 2020 Raptor and absolutely love it, 26,000 miles so far with zero problems. But I have
owned 4 Toyota trucks, 2 Tacomas and 2 Tundras . 100,000 miles each with the only thing to go wrong was a starter on one of the Tacomas going bad. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty reliable.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son has a '19 Taco. It's a good truck. Underpowered? Yup - has a terrible throttle response curve...had to tune it. Cramped? For me - yup. Feels like I'm sitting on the floor instead of a seat. Reliable so far.
We've owned 6 total Toyotas, and the only one that had any issues was the '15 Highlander...leaking water pump. Was told that the factory put insufficient sealant on multiple models with that engine so they had to fix a bunch. Otherwise was a good vehicle.

However, my '13 F150 has been pretty much bulletproof. Other than a leaky o-ring on the driver's side turbo coolant line, and replacing the molded leadframe, I really haven't had any issues in 9 years and nearly 119k miles.

The Taco is not my cup of tea, but he likes it, and the resale value will be good when he finishes school.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't buy a GM product. My last two were lemons and they gave me so much crap about them, I'm done. Lots of other options out there.

(I do have a '68 Camaro project, but that doesn't count lol). :)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We get it, you don't like Toyotas. I currently own a 2020 Raptor and absolutely love it, 26,000 miles so far with zero problems. But I have
owned 4 Toyota trucks, 2 Tacomas and 2 Tundras . 100,000 miles each with the only thing to go wrong was a starter on one of the Tacomas going bad. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty reliable.
No, I don’t like the fallacy that any vehicle is simply “bulletproof” and never needs service or repairs, which is the perception that Toyota fanboys like to portray. It’s not only untrue, it’s ridiculous.

Maybe use your 2nd post to introduce yourself in the new members section with a photo of your ‘20.

Last edited: