2020 Sync 3 Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install the latest update for Sync3 ver3.3 from the Ford Owner website.....AFTER ALREADY INSTALLING THE 3.4 VERSION?

Was thinking about maybe going back to the one made available from Ford site so I can report the upgrade to my Ford Owner Account.
Then go ahead and reinstall 3.4 upgrade again.
What would happen if i tried this?
I’m scared to do it cause something might mess up.....lol

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I didn’t get the 3.4 xml file saved on the USB to report back so it may be a waste of time. just stay at 3.4

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I updated my Sync back in August to whatever the latest was. Shortly after, and maybe unrelated, I started having issues with Sync interface freezing up and ultimately my APIM module had to be replaced. I looked at my truck now and its version 3.0 Build 19205. Not sure if I had updated to 3.3 back in August, can't remember, but ford website says/thinks I have the latest version of sync.

Updating via the russian hack method has me a bit scared, but i have 2 USB sticks loaded and ready...

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install the latest update for Sync3 ver3.3 from the Ford Owner website.....AFTER ALREADY INSTALLING THE 3.4 VERSION?

Was thinking about maybe going back to the one made available from Ford site so I can report the upgrade to my Ford Owner Account.
Then go ahead and reinstall 3.4 upgrade again.
What would happen if i tried this?
I’m scared to do it cause something might mess up.....lol

W/ the APIM issues i've had in the past, if you're up and running now w/ 3.4 i'd just stick with it... I might give the update a try this evening.

are you orig from refugio? i grew up sinton/taft area....

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I updated my Sync back in August to whatever the latest was. Shortly after, and maybe unrelated, I started having issues with Sync interface freezing up and ultimately my APIM module had to be replaced. I looked at my truck now and its version 3.0 Build 19205. Not sure if I had updated to 3.3 back in August, can't remember, but ford website says/thinks I have the latest version of sync.

Updating via the russian hack method has me a bit scared, but i have 2 USB sticks loaded and ready...

The site has links to download the actual U.S. files from Ford’s server, which says to me that they probably didn’t meddle with the actual Sync software but rather exploited a backdoor to reformat the hard drive and reload Sync. Keep in mind that once the drive is reformatted, it’s committed to Sync 3.2 or higher. You can’t revert back to Sync 3.0. All the settings I made with Forscan were retained after the update and it looks like all of my radio presets remained too.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The site has links to download the actual U.S. files from Ford’s server, which says to me that they probably didn’t meddle with the actual Sync software but rather exploited a backdoor to reformat the hard drive and reload Sync. Keep in mind that once the drive is reformatted, it’s committed to Sync 3.2 or higher. You can’t revert back to Sync 3.0. All the settings I made with Forscan were retained after the update and it looks like all of my radio presets remained too.

Good to know it will keep the forscan changes.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
W/ the APIM issues i've had in the past, if you're up and running now w/ 3.4 i'd just stick with it... I might give the update a try this evening.

are you orig from refugio? i grew up sinton/taft area....
I was born and raised in Corpus Christi.
1981 WB Ray High Grad.
Moved to Refugio area about 20 years ago with my wife and raised our kids here. We live outside of town

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you didn't have to flash your APIM back to factory like it states on F150 Forum? I'm about to do the flash back and then upgrade.. I had to have my APIM replaced too for freezing Sync... it still freezes, LOL that's why I want the upgrade. I have 3.0

Let me know if you just upgraded and kept the Forscan APIM modes moded..

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns