2020 Sync 3 Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. The Ford owners site stated that the current update for my rig is version 3.0, I have a 2018. So I updated to version 3.0 and will have to wait for Ford to release another update I guess.

What’s weird is my truck has sync3 version 3.0 in it now .

squeak11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s weird is my truck has sync3 version 3.0 in it now .
I just noticed that my Sync can update right from the head unit. Here's the file it tried to download but it took too long so I left. May try to hook it to home wifi and see what happens. aad6be4e4a1389dea6f66279b785fd15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that my Sync can update right from the head unit. Here's the file it tried to download but it took too long so I left. May try to hook it to home wifi and see what happens. aad6be4e4a1389dea6f66279b785fd15.jpg

I have strong wifi in my garage .how do you hook the truck up to WiFi to download the updates ?

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck already has Sync 3.2 then it can be upgraded to 3.3 or 3.4.

My 2018 only had Sync 3.0. The instructions online requires you to reformat the internal hard drive to make it compatible with Sync 3.2 and up. This means that the jump from 3.0 to 3.2 is a big upgrade that has potential to brick your system (like if you pulled the USB drive out during the long process). Until Ford can mitigate the risk and make it idiot proof, I don’t think they will release an update.

If you have 3.2 or higher, your system is compatible for the upgrade to 3.4, as indicated in the instructions.

Thanks for that info.

squeak11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have strong wifi in my garage .how do you hook the truck up to WiFi to download the updates ?
Go to settings and hit wifi. You can punch in your info

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, I upgraded Lucille’s Sync from 3.0 build 19205 to 3.4.
I checked and did have some APIM mods; heat, ac and steering wheel controls on home screen - stuff from the “typical” forscan mods. I did not revert to as delivered and did not have any unusual trouble.

It was a long update, the longest I’ve seen so far. Afterwards, it was like having a new sync system. had to set preferences, pair the phone, etc. I’m not sure how much it will help but my map set is now significantly newer.

One thing we are not apparently getting - the xml file to send to Ford to tell them what version of sync is currently installed. I’m not sure how necessary that is.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The new interface looks interesting. I may try the upgrade this weekend when I have time to grab the files.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m doing my 3.3 to 3.4 right now. Mine is a 2019, I updated to the latest 3.3 build first.

I’ll let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why, if I may ask are you loading the laterst 3.3 build and then loading the 3.4 version.
Won’t just downloading the 3.4 ver cover it all anyway?
Your thoughts.

Also wondering if you can go back to 3.3 after already loading 3.4.
What would happen.... would it work if someone tried this?

Last edited:

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do we check what Sync version is currently installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okegg0

Reaction score
So I'm on Sync 3 v2.4, trying to get it to even v3.0, is it just a waste of time if I cant even get it to the 3.4 from 3.0?