2019 Raptor Sunroof Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vik

Reaction score
Hello All - I am new to this forum and need some help/advice from fellow members.

The sunroof on my 2019 Raptor won't close all the way. It does not have any rattling sound, it glides fine but the wind deflector does not retract and the sunroof bounces back/opens again as it reaches towards the front. I am not sure if it is an electrical/mechanical issue or just needs to be re-initialized.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Vik

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The initialization procedure requires the the roof opening panel be closed, so they won’t help in your case. I would recommend fully opening the panel and inspecting the track for any debris or contamination. Also make sure the wind deflector moves freely; if it’s jammed, that may be causing the issue.

Swamper

Reaction score
I had the same issue last week. There are two plastic tabs, one on each side that push the sun shield down when closing. Both tabs broke. It was covered under warrantee but is not an expensive repair. Look in the track for the two broken plastic tabs

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sunroof is operated by two cheap plastic tabs that connect the panel to the track. As per Swamper description. When you try to open the sunroof or tilt the sunroof the rubber weather strip of the sunroof is stuck/sticking to the roof itself due to you have not use it in a while, then those plastic tab breaks. It happened to me, the dealer has to replaced the whole sunroof track system, luckily for me it was still under warranty . I was told it would have cost me about $2500 to get it repaired. There's a few Youtube video on how to fix that problem if yours is out of warranty. You need to lube the sunroof weather seal once in a while to prevent it happening again after you've repair it, there's a forum on the sunroof problem on FRF. Good luck

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
when you opened it, before it would not close, was it more difficult than usual to open? Did it sound like it was sticking, or make a kind of popping sound? You won’t hear it if you’re blaring tunes, but if you did, you almost certainly broke the aforementioned tabs.

EvosRaptor

Reaction score
Thank you for this post. I just started having the same problem on my 2018 and this is really helpful. Dealership has had it for 2 days and a weekend and hasn’t been able to do anything with it. I miss my toy truck!

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The initialization procedure requires the the roof opening panel be closed, so they won’t help in your case. I would recommend fully opening the panel and inspecting the track for any debris or contamination. Also make sure the wind deflector moves freely; if it’s jammed, that may be causing the issue.
For those who have not opened the sunroof in a while, is there a way to (spray) lube the seal from inside? Perhaps a spray dry lube with a straw that will migrate around the seal for a day prior to opening?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
For those who have not opened the sunroof in a while, is there a way to (spray) lube the seal from inside? Perhaps a spray dry lube with a straw that will migrate around the seal for a day prior to opening?

good question. I’ve done 3 things to prevent a recurrence of the track breakage.
1) requested the service dept. lube the moon roof at previous service. Krytox isn’t cheap. Ourisman Ford did it free of charge. Local TX dealer, not so much. Good news is it’s been about a year and the glass is not sticky, even with infrequent use.
2) pop to vent position first, then close, then to the rear.
3) buy krytox grease online and use.

I’m fixin’ to grease the moon roof seals soon.

The pop to vent position doesn’t stress the bracket hardware (as much) so if the seals are sticky, your rearward movement should still work and it should still close.