2019 Raptor Intel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The language in the release suggest that the recaros aren’t an option.. standard maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So looks like Ford took a page out of Toyota's book with their own version of Crawl Control... Trail Control.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ are you really going to drive your future Raptor off road or are you going to be like most raptor owners and just cruise Starbucks?

Most Raptor owners will never enjoy the added benefits these shocks may produce.

I have taken my 18 off road multiple times and love it. Don't over think your decision.

From my reading, this change would be a huge benefit for the Starbucks crowd because it firms up the dampening on the street to reduce the body roll in braking and the corners. The dumb shocks in the 17/18 are setup for off-road use and are compromised on the street. Lots of BMW people jump on this forum to complain about how crappy the Raptor handles on their Starbucks runs and this should make those yuppies complain a lot less.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Really? "This available seat design..." Seems optional to me.

One of the articles said it was something like a $1,400 option.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my reading, this change would be a huge benefit for the Starbucks crowd because it firms up the dampening on the street to reduce the body roll in braking and the corners. The dumb shocks in the 17/18 are setup for off-road use and are compromised on the street. Lots of BMW people jump on this forum to complain about how crappy the Raptor handles on their Starbucks runs and this should make those yuppies complain a lot less.

LOL well in that case I guess those guys will be happy!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure how. My understanding is these adjust to driving conditions which include driver input (steering, throttle, etc) they're also electronically controlled. So they not only need signaling to determine driving conditions, they need power too. Anything self contained would essentially be a passive system, which is what we have now, or what Chevy is using in the ZR2

The only other way to get something similar was if they had batteries and communicated with each other wirelessly to know what the other is doing. That doesn't sound reliable or cost effective and still wouldn't have the benefit of knowing what the steering wheel, throttle or brakes are doing.

My guess is the new shocks will make on-road behavior quite a it better, particularly in the rear. Time will tell

It wouldn't be hard to profile different driving conditions with a simple onboard accelerometer and travel meter

Smooth, small, high frequency vibrations = Highway.
Large, fast shock movement = high speed off-road.
Hard compression followed by full extension = jump.
Frequent accelerations, decelerations, and lateral changes = spirited driving.
Lateral G's = cornering.
Negative G's = Braking.
Slow, large shock moments and lots of body roll = rock crawling

Every road and driving situation has vastly different accelerations and travel movements, making it easy to accurately adjust the suspension without communicating with the truck or driver.

That said, knowing the the mode the truck is in will allow it to preset the dampening instead of reacting to it a fraction of a second after the driving conditions change.

But as others said, keeping a battery charged would be a PIA and if you are running power, you might as well run a signal too.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wonder if these Recaro seats are like the Mustang. $1600 up-charge and you lose heating, cooling, and power adjustments. So not only are they expensive, ugly, and uncomfortable, they also don't include any modern conveniences. Where do I signup?

https://youtu.be/l5zT005oGbA?t=8m35s