2019 In Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but as it has been discussed at length here, sport mode on my 2017 just wasn't fun to use because of the violent shifts, especially 6-7 in my case. Picked up my 2019 last night and tried sport mode after about 40 miles of driving and while the shifts are much more crisp than normal mode, as you would expect, I have yet to experience any of the violent down shifts or the jerky upshifts that felt like the transmission was almost slipping. So much nicer. I don't even remember how much more throttle response there is in sport mode because I didn't want to get on my 19 while breaking it in and its been forever since I used sport mode on my 17, but I am so happy that the 19 shifts so much smoother. Rides MUCH smoother too...just feels like a different truck completely! Very happy I made the trade.

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but as it has been discussed at length here, sport mode on my 2017 just wasn't fun to use because of the violent shifts, especially 6-7 in my case. Picked up my 2019 last night and tried sport mode after about 40 miles of driving and while the shifts are much more crisp than normal mode, as you would expect, I have yet to experience any of the violent down shifts or the jerky upshifts that felt like the transmission was almost slipping. So much nicer. I don't even remember how much more throttle response there is in sport mode because I didn't want to get on my 19 while breaking it in and its been forever since I used sport mode on my 17, but I am so happy that the 19 shifts so much smoother. Rides MUCH smoother too...just feels like a different truck completely! Very happy I made the trade.

Enjoy! Agreed, some here from ‘18. Just brought home a ‘19 and feels way better. This is even after they put in a new transmission on my ‘18 with 5500 miles on it. Drove the new tranny to 10500 and it was better but still not right. I traded for the ‘19 today. This one feels right! To your point I haven’t totally gotten on it yet but for a couple of short tests. Glad I made the trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just switched to sport mode and it was just awful. Transmission was smooth as glass in normal mode. Now with the 19 it just shifts a little harder, like it has a shirt kit but smoother. Loving this 19

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, when I'm just running errands around town many times I'll use Sport mode, feels like the line pressure in the transmission is greatly increased. Makes for a fun ride.

AZ LucaBrasi

Reaction score
i have an 18 and since the software update sport is much improved...wouldnt call it smooth, but its definitely not jerky............also remember your truck is still in learning mode which may smooth out the shifts even more.

Viper32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 18 shifted very hard and if you got on it would hold in a gear and and after letting off would not go back up in gears correctly. My 19 feels very little different than regular mode but I only have like 650 miles on it so far. It for sure does not shift harsh like the 18 did. That could not be good for a tranny.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the 19 now more promptly 'relax' after getting on it in sport mode? My late 2018 eventually 'relaxes', but it takes it quite a while depending on what I was doing... so I usually just go to manual mode when I'm pointing and shooting. I've found it's especially excitable if aggressively throttling it out of a corner. I get the goal of the sport mode behavior in my 18, but it's annoying for anything less than and extended run of full balls out.

WRT the harshness, I never drive mine in normal mode. Run sport mode when on the street. Mine was very rough and jerky when new, but it really smoothed out after 5k miles. It can still be pretty jerky when 1/2 throttling and manually short shifting when cold, especially for a 4 to 5 shift, but it's gotten about like a normal transmission when warm.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some driving around in sport mode today on my 19. Fun, what a great mode. Really wakes up the Raptor.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a flash update available to fix that. I just had it done on my very early 2018 build and it's MUCH better. I actually drive around in sport mode about 3 or 4x more than I did before because it finally shifts the way you'd expect it to.