2018 with Hesitation when Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just because your engine idles to warm doesn’t mean your trans and diff fluids aren’t a thick soupy mess. It’s going to be a little rough until the whole drivetrain is warmed up a little
Correct- could be a slow/delayed 1-2 or 2-3 shift or whatever due to fluid in tranny/TC not fully warmed up & also first time in the day that fluid is circulating into those gear ring seals/solenoids could make it feel like a spark/engine stutter

Either way- if it runs better once warmed up.....just let it warm up & drive easy for first few miles. When it gets real cold in winter it can take vehicles like 1/2 an +hr of driving to get fully up
To operating temps across the board.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
For me, it happens when the engine is warmed up after a few hours of sitting. I don't think this has anything to do with fluid temps. I can say, for now, I have not noticed this when I start an overnight cold engine and go.

For my testing yesterday, my oil and trans temps were right around ~130 degrees. I also put it in sport mode to nullify that (since I already know in normal mode the issue will occur). So after 4 hours of sitting, the engine/trans is still warm but not at full temp. I start the engine and essentially let the vehicle roll down 5 levels of the garage where I park. The levels are steep enough to where I don't have to press the accelerator to continue momentum. So, the engine is at idle for a good few minutes while I roll down the floors to the bottom. Then, I maneuver through the parking lot for about 1/4 mile and stop at a stop sign. When I then take off onto a mainstream road (normal and slow takeoff) that's when I'll get the "cut out". It's fairly random but I'm going to continue to test. If I can work around it, I be OK with it.

For me, it happens in normal or sport mode. Doesn't happen on an overnight cold engine. Happens when it's been sitting for a few hours and still warm. Gentle or hard acceleration irrelevant.

I'll take it to the dealer once I can repro the issue repeatedly. I checked for codes but there are none.

Last edited:

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
I also noticed that it's been cold and haven't had the AC system turned on. I mention this because the engine RPMs are increased to compensate for the compressor at idle and I noticed yesterday I was using the AC the entire time and did not get the hesitation.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2017 and now have a 2019. Neither truck drives/drove normal until it is warm. In my situation, it can be 90 degrees outside and both trucks run/ran funky until warmed up. Once warm, all is well. I have never experienced this with any other vehicle.

Swifteee

Reaction score
I’m experiencing the exact hesitation fordloco described! Only when engine is cold and within the first block or two of driving. I’m not in the gas much at all when it happens, but when it does happen passengers think I’ve hit the brake! It’s like my engine brake on my 4 stroke dirt bike... my truck is an 18 and has 25k on it. Enough to make me nervous pulling onto road out of parking lot.

is this normal? Does it whether running 93 or 89 octane... i experienced this less often when it was newer but now happens multiple times per week. Took to dealership a few months ago and they changed the plugs. Didn’t fix it... not sure they were able to duplicate the problem since it doesn’t do it every time. Truck has to be parked at least 2-3 hrs to experience this. So cold engine... weather has no bearing since does it in summer and winter... have changed oil 4-5 times. Use fully synthetic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m thinking this is not normal since my brother has a gen 2 raptor also and hasn’t experienced this...

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
It's definitely not normal for any performance transmissions I've had and is too bad this happens.

But, like I said, it'll be hard to diagnose because no codes are thrown so it's not doing anything "abnormal" according to the computer. You have to bring it in, let it sit for hours and hope the dealer tech can drive it and feel it. Then, if you get a dealer that doesn't say "it's normal", they will offer to relearn the trans for you which will do nothing in the coming months.

I continue to experience this issue. I have noticed it on an overnight cold engine as well. I didn't notice it earlier because I just go very slow in the morning around my hood. The only time it doesn't happen is if the engine is hot and I drive again within an hour (like after I finish lunch).

In the morning, when I go over a speed bump, the trans won't shift up and the engine therefore revs high. Then the trans grabs and all is well for the rest of the ride.

I wonder if it would happen if I was to manually shift... I'll try that next.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
OK tried it with manual shifting. Same effect. Is seems the hesitation, at least for me, is when upshifting from gear 3 to 4. Trans spins, then shifts to 4. Does it once then fine for the rest of the drive.

@FordTechOne -- any input on this phenomenon that a lot of people seem to be experiencing?

Last edited: