2018 with 80 k miles- no rebuild done yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a 2018 one owner gently used raptor. I get the addiction now lol. The stock shocks have never been rebuilt and truck has 80 k miles. I have owned it about a month now. Best riding truck I have ever been in. I have no point of reference of what it "should feel like" but not sure if I should take to a fox authorized dealer and have them break the shocks down and replace everything that needs to be replaced, keep what I have until I feel as though it is not smooth ride anymore, or replace altogether with live valves vs other new non live valves. I know there is a lot of differing opinions on this vs what ford recommends vs fox vs blah blah blah but have never asked this question here in this community so wanted others to chime in. Thanks in advance.

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to run an eclick system? Otherwise to run the live valves you’ll do the delete and I believe they’ll auto default to their sportiest and hardest setting

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It just comes down to how much you want to spend and what your goals are.

IMO:
Mostly driven on street: Stick with OEM 17-18 shocks. Fronts are $420 each and rears are 390 each on Rockauto and other online stores.
If you want to get into moderate+ offroading then the Icons/Fox/Kings aftermarket "race shocks" would be the next step up, ranging from 6-7k.

On my last Gen 1, I went with 3.0 Fox 3.0's aftermarket shocks. Was a good improvement over the stock 2.5's.
for the Gen 2, going to just get new OEM 3.0's as IMO they are good enough for the offroading I do. Just going to add an eibach spring up front.
Can use the remaining funds that the aftermarket 3.0's would of cost for leafs, bump stops and *******.

OP
OP
AUcrnp3010

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score
It just comes down to how much you want to spend and what your goals are.

IMO:
Mostly driven on street: Stick with OEM 17-18 shocks. Fronts are $420 each and rears are 390 each on Rockauto and other online stores.
If you want to get into moderate+ offroading then the Icons/Fox/Kings aftermarket "race shocks" would be the next step up, ranging from 6-7k.

On my last Gen 1, I went with 3.0 Fox 3.0's aftermarket shocks. Was a good improvement over the stock 2.5's.
for the Gen 2, going to just get new OEM 3.0's as IMO they are good enough for the offroading I do. Just going to add an eibach spring up front.
Can use the remaining funds that the aftermarket 3.0's would of cost for leafs, bump stops and *******.
Thank you for the comment. Did not realize they were that "cheap" (relative to the next tier you mentioned).
My Gen 2 is my daily driver. I drive 15-17 miles one way. Roads are good. We have a farm we go to and hunt on/ ride dirt bikes etc and it is like any other out in the country farm you would think of- bumpy here and there and mostly dirt / gravel. I do not do (as of now) any moderate off roading. Couple trails I plan to go on but from what I've been told they are all fairly easy. I guess my biggest thing is to keep the truck in its best shape/ performance as I can and if that means spending 1500-2 k every 40-60 k miles for new shocks then I will do so.

As far as the leafs, bump stops etc- what would you say in your opinion would be list of priority you would spend on with those extra funds?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Again, the search function is great here.

First mod should be Goosetuned, followed by lights. All depends on how far you want to rake it.

Based off your current intend use, just pick up new or rebuild the blue tops. No reason to go crazy, unless you want to.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I too have had no bump steer or waterbed like feelings. Again, truck was lightly used by its only one owner so I feel fine for now but just want a game plan moving forward.
I know a few Gen 1 owners who have never serviced the shocks and they all seem ok. But thats them. I think it needs to be done at around 70k at most, i'm just a bad raptor owner.