GEN 2 2018 SCrew mileage question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHnewbie

Reaction score
New 2018 Screw here. Over the first 1000 miles, my trip computer is calculating 18.2 MPG (with AS/S off). Driving is mostly "suburban" (not city, not highway) with speeds rarely above 50 MPH, and probably averaging 30 MPH. Can this be right?

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tire pressure. My tires were way over inflated coming from the dealer. They were nearly 50 psi. The recommended pressure is always on the door jam. For mine, it says 38 psi. My mpg dropped from 18 to 13-15 when I dropped the pressure to factory spec.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
Check your tire pressure. My tires were way over inflated coming from the dealer. They were nearly 50 psi. The recommended pressure is always on the door jam. For mine, it says 38 psi. My mpg dropped from 18 to 13-15 when I dropped the pressure to factory spec.

Tire pressures at 40 PSI cold.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I drove mine back from the dealership (900 miles away) it averaged 17.6mpg. @ 70-75 mph.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New 2018 Screw here. Over the first 1000 miles, my trip computer is calculating 18.2 MPG (with AS/S off). Driving is mostly "suburban" (not city, not highway) with speeds rarely above 50 MPH, and probably averaging 30 MPH. Can this be right?

If my experience is any indicator, then yes, it absolutely can be right.

First thing I have noticed is the trip computer calculated mileage tends to be a bit long. Mine may indicate 18 MPG when the reality is more like 17 or a tad less. Or if it shows 15.5 I am someplace in the high 14’s. Whatever the case my indicated mileage has always been higher than reality.

Next thing I have noticed is that mileage in this truck is very drag dependent. I typically get better mileage at city speeds, even factoring traffic lights and periodic stops, or low speed highway stuff, than I do at my “normal” (a bit over posted limit) highway speeds. At 45 MPH I can get well over 25 MPG for extended periods of time.

An example. My daily commute is 32 miles one way. 5 miles of it in light city traffic, the rest on either 55 or 65 MPH posted two lanes, with a couple of stop signs. If I am not hard on the starts and I do exactly the speed limits I can get over 19 MPG across the week. Calculated by mileage and amount of fuel used, not on the trip MPG indicator. But, driving it more “normal” for me, including 6 to 12 MPH over anytime I am not inside the city (I don’t exceed posted limits in city) and crisper starts, I get more like 16 to 17 MPG across the week. If I get a little spirited I can push that down to 14 to 15 MPG pretty easy.

When I drive to the big city (120 miles away) I start getting better mileage once I get to the city. The entire trip going there I am typically at speed (75 – 85), and drag is killing the MPG. There are very real differences in MPG between say 60 and 70, and a bigger step from 70 to 80+. Once I get to the city and in traffic (as long as it is not honest stop and go) I often get better mileage.

Off road though, yeah, mileage sucks there ;) Most of my 4x4 is in 4 LO, and 10 MPG averages, or less, are common.

(edit) I might add, use of the Adaptive Cruise Control in traffic kills the mileage. It always decelerates and accelerates a bit harder than required. I like the feature, but it does not help gas mileage at all.

T!

Last edited: