2018 SCAB Towing issues. Need help! Clicky here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
Towing might be 10% of this trucks use btw. 25% if for some miracle I ended up being able to get more time off and we started really digging on the boating thing.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about towing a boat near the limit even if you keep everything stock. Boats are closer to 5% tongue weight compared to 10-15% for travel trailers and generally less affected by crosswinds. SCAB wheelbase is fine for a 24' boat.

If you really want to upgrade something, I imagine bump stops are your best bet. You could also look at slightly lighter boats - Yamaha and Scarab both offer 24' boats that are closer to 5k on the trailer depending on your wants/needs.

Nick610s

Reaction score
I pull our 23 foot centurion ski boat 4500# empty, with 46 gallons of fuel, and then 8-900 lbs for the trailer on my 18 SCAB and it feels like the boat isn't there, run 40PSI in the rear tires to keep them from rolling over, technically we have a 7000lb capacity if you have nothing in the bed. if your boat is 6000# incl the trailer you should be ok.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could also look at slightly lighter boats - Yamaha and Scarab both offer 24' boats that are closer to 5k on the trailer depending on your wants/needs.

I was towing my Yahama AR230 Jet boat with my Gen 1 6.2L SCAB with no issues. As mentioned previously, I installed the SuperSpring 2000# leaf on top of my stock Raptor leafs and there was barely any sag. My boat weighed 4800 lbs on the trailer when filled with 50 gallons of gas and toys. I also kept the air in my tires at 40 lbs when towing.

I went with the higher towing capacity SCREW for my Gen 2 in case I want to get a heavier boat in the future!

Attachments

• Raptor 2010 Boat.jpg
    Raptor 2010 Boat.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Raptor 2010 Boat2.jpg
    Raptor 2010 Boat2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
I pull our 23 foot centurion ski boat 4500# empty, with 46 gallons of fuel, and then 8-900 lbs for the trailer on my 18 SCAB and it feels like the boat isn't there, run 40PSI in the rear tires to keep them from rolling over, technically we have a 7000lb capacity if you have nothing in the bed. if your boat is 6000# incl the trailer you should be ok.

Where did you get the info for 7K tow capacity?

Everything I see says 6K. Except the hitch. It says 6K with a weight distribution hitch and 5K without.

Nick610s

Reaction score
Where did you get the info for 7K tow capacity?

Everything I see says 6K. Except the hitch. It says 6K with a weight distribution hitch and 5K without.

We can put 1000lbs or so in the bed. Which adds to your total GVWR. Which is why I said “technically” we can tow 7000.

Either way I have had zero issues towing 5500-6000 lbs worth of boat without a weight distribution hitch. Tongue weight is a huge thing to consider as well, my boat sits level attached to my truck so my tongue weight is optimal.

Attachments

• A1ECEBF0-9656-443D-9CF6-4E7C926867E9.jpg
    A1ECEBF0-9656-443D-9CF6-4E7C926867E9.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 31

tilltheend

Reaction score
I was towing my Yahama AR230 Jet boat with my Gen 1 6.2L SCAB with no issues. As mentioned previously, I installed the SuperSpring 2000# leaf on top of my stock Raptor leafs and there was barely any sag. My boat weighed 4800 lbs on the trailer when filled with 50 gallons of gas and toys. I also kept the air in my tires at 40 lbs when towing.

I went with the higher towing capacity SCREW for my Gen 2 in case I want to get a heavier boat in the future!

Was there any noticeable improvements when towing with the SCREW? I want another SCAB and my 13 works ok now but if the longer wheelbase works some magic on stability I'd go with a SCREW this time. And my girlfriend would be ecstatic at my step toward being an actual adult... a truck that has room for kid seats.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We can put 1000lbs or so in the bed. Which adds to your total GVWR. Which is why I said “technically” we can tow 7000.

Either way I have had zero issues towing 5500-6000 lbs worth of boat without a weight distribution hitch. Tongue weight is a huge thing to consider as well, my boat sits level attached to my truck so my tongue weight is optimal.

Is your rear suspension stock? As you said, your truck looks very level with your boat attached.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Was there any noticeable improvements when towing with the SCREW? I want another SCAB and my 13 works ok now but if the longer wheelbase works some magic on stability I'd go with a SCREW this time. And my girlfriend would be ecstatic at my step toward being an actual adult... a truck that has room for kid seats.

My boat sits in the marina most of the time, so I have not towed it with my SCREW. I towed my utility trailer full of furniture and boxes a couple of months ago, but I did not have anything added to the rear suspension at the time. It towed the fully loaded trailer fine, but was sagging about 2" due to the factory leafs.

I wanted to buy a SCAB again, but after driving a SCREW and seeing for myself how much more room there is in the back, it was a no-brainer. It was also MUCH easier to find a SCREW with the features I wanted versus ordering a SCAB, since they are VERY hard to find on a dealers lot. (I looked for several weeks using a 1000 mile radius...) In the end, I went with Geisers/Deavers and 37s to help offset the longer look of the SCREW. So far, I have been very happy with its performance on and off the road, plus my wife really likes the extra room.

Last edited:

Nick610s

Reaction score
@TXRaptor Yes my truck is stock no helper springs or anything else, now ifi were to put my 23 foot toy hauler on there, I def need the weight dist. hitch because there is way more tongue weight on there then the boat. that weighs 5000 dry. I have a tundra to pull our trailer though. go figure.

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had same problem with 17 scab.finally got very god wdh and now have no problems.mine is a camper.6000 lbs.i know boat usally tow better.but try one