2018 SCAB Towing issues. Need help! Clicky here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2018 SCAB, want to tow a boat package that weighs 6K.

Towed less than half that yesterday and I feel towing at capacity give or take will be sketchy at best!

What can I do to make this a better tow rig without sacrificing ANY Offroad capability?

What says the peanut gallery??

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I know I talked to Deaver about it's ill handling traits (rear end kick) and they said I should go the 400 over HD kit because I'll haul a dirt bike occasionally but I did not even think to ask about towing.

Will these help with towing too or make it worse???

KDCane

Reaction score
I tow a 4500 lbs boat with no issues or modifications whatsoever. Not even a dip in the rear.

What were you towing yesterday? Was the trailer balanced meaning all the weight spread out not just on the tongue?

OP
OP
Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
I tow a 4500 lbs boat with no issues or modifications whatsoever. Not even a dip in the rear.

What were you towing yesterday? Was the trailer balanced meaning all the weight spread out not just on the tongue?

Perfectly balanced. Are you a Gen 1 or 2? Super Cab or crew?

OP
OP
Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
I have an adjustable hitch and the trailer was perfectly level.

Keep in mind crew cab guys.....the SCREW is rated for 8000lbs towing.

The SCAB is rated for 6000lbs towing.

The shorter wheelbase really kills the stability compared to the screw.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a such thing as air bag helper springs for this truck?

When I checked, there were no airbag options for our trucks. Even if there were, they would totally defeat the off-road capability unless you removed them each time.

You can look at the SuperSprings or the Roadmaster Active Suspension. They both sit on top of the Raptor leaf springs and can be removed much easier than airbags. The Roadmaster are the ones I am going to use, since they are the easiest to install/remove.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Ford/F-150+Raptor/2018/SSA28.html

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/2010-2016-ford-raptor/

Last I read, this idea was only available if you took your truck to the same installation shop. He did not want to sell a kit and he was not willing to give the information to others to make for themselves. (rightly so, since it he invented it!)

OP
OP
Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
I definitely need a solution that is either...

A: makes the truck better all around for both on road, Offroad and towing.

B: is removable EASILY after towing.