2018 Remote start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jshemmy

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with key fob on 2018?

I got my aftermarket Rigid lights installed in bumper and key fob stopped working?
installer said it was the RF program and it worked sometimes?

took the back up fob and it works fine now, but I have very little distance to it?

installer recommended taking it to Ford to reprogram remote.

also, when walking up to truck it rarely recognizes the fob to unlock the doors and I have to pull keys out to unlock it manually, which stinks!

any thoughts?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had this problem on my 2014 Explorer Sport. "some" after market electronics can mess with the RF communication between the key fob and the corresponding module. In our 2014 Explorer Sport, it was traced back to a $5 - 2 port USB cigarette plug. Anytime that little plug was stuck in the cigarette lighter, all the key fob performance went to crap. Unplug it, and we had several hundred feet.

May not be your lights, but there is something on your truck, energized, that is killing the RF. Start by getting anything you added extra, disconnected from power and try an isolate it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
jshemmy

jshemmy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, but there is nothing external besides the lights plugged in? one USB which I never use, but I will try it

thanks