2018 Raptor - Mold on Under Hood Insulation Shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NNN

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I have a 2018 Ford Raptor where mold is forming on the Under Hood Insulation Shield (heat shield). There is also a bit of a musty smell in the cab of the truck which I am assuming is from the mold on the heat shield.

Last year, I had the entire truck detailed and remediated to remove all and any mold. Now, the mold has developed again on the heat shield and a musty smell in the truck.

** Edited the original post after realizing it wasn't worded in the best way.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any idea for the cause of this? Solutions? Is the heat shield necessary or can I remove it? Any help is appreciated as it cost almost $1,500 to clean the entire truck last year and it's looking like it will need to be done again.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1 - 8.9.23.jpg
    1 - 8.9.23.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1 - Post Cleaning 2022.jpg
    1 - Post Cleaning 2022.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2 - Post Cleaning 2022.jpg
    2 - Post Cleaning 2022.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 12
  • 3 - 8.9.23.jpg
    3 - 8.9.23.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 4 - 2022.jpg
    4 - 2022.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You had the entire truck as in mold inside the cab or the smell was lingering in the cab from the hood?

IIRC Ford has some F150 trims without the shield.

OP
OP
N

NNN

Reaction score
The visible mold is all over the heat shield. There is a musty smell inside the truck which I'm assuming is from the air being pulled in from the engine (where the moldy heat shield is located). When the truck was detailed, the tech said there was mold in the truck, but I could not see anything visible. If it was there, it was trace amounts and not visible like the heat shield.