2017 Raptor QandA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

palma

Reaction score
Oh I definitely think Screw configuration is way more likely than a V8. I have a feeling Ford will surprise us with hp figure. They have to when 90 % of people feel their current engine choice is not the right one for the raptor. For those who don't mind the V6 that just means a very beastly engine...praying closer to 500 than 450. Nobody will complain about power then. Hopefully a 0-60 closer to 4.8-5.2

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt a screw configuration will be offered duh the prototype seen in pictures driving around is a screw for crying out loud lol.. Do you guys remember in 2010 when the only configuration you could get in a raptor was a scab? Did ford ever have the intention to make this truck a 4 door? No, but once people started complaining about not having a 4 door option and you have journalist asking why a screw isn't offered did ford come through and deliver what the market asked for. If there's enough people demanding for a V8 option ford will make it and it might not come out for MY2018 but you might be surprised when you see a V8 option for 2019 or later. Don't let that mpg regulation fool you.. Ford is bringing out a pretty thirsty gt350 this year, dodge has plans of making an AWD Grand Cherokee with a hellcat engine and people on here think it's crazy and unrealistic for ford to offer a V8 option for a ford freaking raptor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palma

Reaction score
Without a doubt a screw configuration will be offered duh the prototype seen in pictures driving around is a screw for crying out loud lol.. Do you guys remember in 2010 when the only configuration you could get in a raptor was a scab? Did ford ever have the intention to make this truck a 4 door? No, but once people started complaining about not having a 4 door option and you have journalist asking why a screw isn't offered did ford come through and deliver what the market asked for. If there's enough people demanding for a V8 option ford will make it and it might not come out for MY2018 but you might be surprised when you see a V8 option for 2019 or later. Don't let that mpg regulation fool you.. Ford is bringing out a pretty thirsty gt350 this year, dodge has plans of making an AWD Grand Cherokee with a hellcat engine and people on here think it's crazy and unrealistic for ford to offer a V8 option for a ford freaking raptor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once journalists get their hands on a 450+ hp raptor nobody will complain about power and delivery. Why then would Ford give in to demands for people who just want a V8 because they want a V8. I honestly don't see Ford following the script of the original raptor as far as motors are concerned simply because the original motor just felt underpowered and many buyers and journalists complained about this. 0-60 times in the mid 8s. Lol! Once the figures are out the raptor will be up there with high end sports SUVs that cost over 100k and some sports cars. This was the same story when M3/4 changed from naturally aspirated to straight 6 turbocharged motors. People got over it. I have noticed Ford reps whenever they talk about V6 over V8 they seem very arrogant almost to suggest why the hell would we do that when a small motor will deliver more power than the current Raptor. The raptor sales would have to seriously suffer for them to consider something that extreme in light of positive reviews. I am betting Ford faces the opposite problem of too much pent up demand that they end up having production issues. This we can all assume quite safely.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but didnt Ford say since the product is no longer an SVT vehicle there will be a larger quantity being built so they will be more accessible to the dealers? I know any dealer can sell SVT/FP products but I thought I heard somewhere in a Q&A video that the 2017 Raptor will be less exclusive this time around so everyone can get their hands on one easily? Ill try and find the video but I could also be completely wrong on this.

I can't seem to find the video either, but the impression I have gotten is that this time around they know it'll be a big seller and they intend to sell a lot of them as if it was any other product. Lots won't be littered with Raptors but they won't be quite the unicorns that they initially were.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Once journalists get their hands on a 450+ hp raptor nobody will complain about power and delivery. Why then would Ford give in to demands for people who just want a V8 because they want a V8. I honestly don't see Ford following the script of the original raptor as far as motors are concerned simply because the original motor just felt underpowered and many buyers and journalists complained about this. 0-60 times in the mid 8s. Lol! Once the figures are out the raptor will be up there with high end sports SUVs that cost over 100k and some sports cars. This was the same story when M3/4 changed from naturally aspirated to straight 6 turbocharged motors. People got over it. I have noticed Ford reps whenever they talk about V6 over V8 they seem very arrogant almost to suggest why the hell would we do that when a small motor will deliver more power than the current Raptor. The raptor sales would have to seriously suffer for them to consider something that extreme in light of positive reviews. I am betting Ford faces the opposite problem of too much pent up demand that they end up having production issues. This we can all assume quite safely.

Well said.

I definitely expect there to be changes from 1st model year to 2nd, but there won't be any overarching reason to change the motor or offer an additional one as there was with the first gen truck.

Everything that the Ford reps say, everything put out by Ford PR and Ford marketing indicates that they are completely entrenched in EcoBoost and they are going to exploit the Raptor and even the new $400k Ford GT in order to push it. Ford appears to be calling the V8-or-die crowd's bluff, even if it means they might lose a few customers. They are under strict CAFE regulations, facing even stricter ones soon, and they are several years and heavily invested in their multibillion dollar EcoBoost strategy. Turning back now or a couple years in would be a tremendous loss of face and would undercut the goodwill they have already built.

M3/M4 is a great example. BMW, particularly their M brand, thrives on selling panache and sophistication, and going TTV6 from a V8 was the opposite of that. They even had to pipe in fake engine noise into the cabin to compensate. The forums were absolutely overflowing with people hating on the concept. Now they're overflowing with people discussing dealer pricing, optimal lease terms, and euro delivery.

Even the magazine auto journalists have let go, embracing the return of turbos quite wholeheartedly, despite still clinging to things like 3 pedal transmissions. Regardless of its sexiness, it will be a performer, so people will get over it.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford stated this is an off road enthusiast truck and will be produced in limited quantity, but enough to meet demand.

Edit: It's actually in the first post.

"How many Raptors will you build? Is the Raptor a limited-production vehicle? We will build enough Raptors to meet customer demand, but it is a low-volume vehicle built for off-road enthusiasts."

More reading, less speculating please.

Last edited:

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford stated this is an off road enthusiast truck and will be produced in limited quantity, but enough to meet demand.

Edit: It's actually in the first post.

"How many Raptors will you build? Is the Raptor a limited-production vehicle? We will build enough Raptors to meet customer demand, but it is a low-volume vehicle built for off-road enthusiasts."

More reading, less speculating please.

Exactly, they are going to meet demand. There should be no shortage or need for dealer markups, except perhaps for the first few months of deliveries.

It will not be a limited production vehicle a-la Ford GT, Mustang GT350R, etc.

gothonks?

Reaction score
... Fresno ...the ******** of Ca , it used to be
From what I saw

Saw in Consumer reports , it will have 3 engine options 2 -v6 eccoboost and the 5.0 ... I think they shoulda threw a hopped up 5.0 instead of the 6.2 in the first place .... Or just wait for the ecco 5.0 with 750 hp in 2018 ... That motor is a gamer changer

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Saw in Consumer reports , it will have 3 engine options 2 -v6 eccoboost and the 5.0 ... I think they shoulda threw a hopped up 5.0 instead of the 6.2 in the first place .... Or just wait for the ecco 5.0 with 750 hp in 2018 ... That motor is a gamer changer

Link to source because that all sounds like some BS.

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything that the Ford reps say, everything put out by Ford PR and Ford marketing indicates that they are completely entrenched in EcoBoost and they are going to exploit the Raptor and even the new $400k Ford GT in order to push it. Ford appears to be calling the V8-or-die crowd's bluff, even if it means they might lose a few customers. They are under strict CAFE regulations, facing even stricter ones soon, and they are several years and heavily invested in their multibillion dollar EcoBoost strategy. Turning back now or a couple years in would be a tremendous loss of face and would undercut the goodwill they have already built.

You've hit the nail here. EcoBoost in the Raptor is pure marketing. Ford is so committed to EcoBoost that they almost had no choice but to exclusively go EB for the Raptor. They've painted themselves into a corner over the last few years with how much they promoted EB as the be-all end-all for engine tech. If they hadn't gone EB with the next Raptor, people would be asking Ford why it wasn't good enough for the bad ass Raptor?

Me personally, I'm still not sold on it. The 3.5 EB in my brother's F-150 is fast, but it's certainly not efficient. It gets V8 mileage.

And it sounds like shit.

For me, the announcement back in January that they were going with a TTV6 was a let down. A TTV8, like the 5.0 that's been rumored forever would have been a home run. Or even an update to the 6.2 to bring it into the 21st century would have been met with more enthusiasm than the EB.

As far as CAFE, the percentage of Raptors sold compared to the normal F-150s is so small that it shouldn't make a difference. It's pure marketing.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 3.5 EB in my brother's F-150 is fast, but it's certainly not efficient. It gets V8 mileage.

Dont forget the EB going into the 2017 Raptor is all new and not just the old 3.5 EB with some polishing.

We all know the current EB when driven like there is no tomorrow will get v8 mileage, same goes for almost any motor. I can get 30 mpg in my subie all day long if I stay out of the turbo but what fun is that? I usually average 15 because I like to drive my car and not ***** foot around. Most guys will drive the 2017 more aggressively than regular f-150s so yes, the gas mileage isnt going to any better than the 6.2 in most cases. But what really matters is what Ford can show what the new and current EB can do under PERFECT conditions, thats all that really matters to the government.