2017 Ford replacement vehicle.... any insight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Ford has agreed to replace my truck under lemon law. I have had them buyback a truck before but never had them give me a replacement. Does anyone have any insight as to how the process works? I live in California but purchased the truck in Arizona and am concerned that I’m going to screwed with some BS California ADM. Additionally I have close to $10,000 in mods on the truck and feel like they should give me the money for the stuff that is more difficult to install like the leaf springs and VHF radio install. If anyone has experience with this process please let me know what they are going to offer me and what my rights are as far as the aftermarket parts. Do I have to return the truck to stock and what about wheels if I replaced them and got rid of the stockers. Thanks in advance.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford has agreed to replace my truck under lemon law. I have had them buyback a truck before but never had them give me a replacement. Does anyone have any insight as to how the process works? I live in California but purchased the truck in Arizona and am concerned that I’m going to screwed with some BS California ADM. Additionally I have close to $10,000 in mods on the truck and feel like they should give me the money for the stuff that is more difficult to install like the leaf springs and VHF radio install. If anyone has experience with this process please let me know what they are going to offer me and what my rights are as far as the aftermarket parts. Do I have to return the truck to stock and what about wheels if I replaced them and got rid of the stockers. Thanks in advance.

if it is a court settlement incident to a lemon law suit, you can specify - or rather negotiate all or some of the mods; removal and reinstall, reimbursement, etc. but their position will initially be “no”.

The replacement is a settlement offer. if you accept it as is, you will have to pay to remove all the stuff or eat the loss. If you make the replacement vehicle contingent upon either reimbursement for or transfer of some or all of your mods that could probably be acceptable. Replacement vehicles are like walking a batter in baseball. They’re at least uneasy about the prospect of losing in court if you take it to court, so they have made a calculation that you can potentially soak them for the cost of the truck, expert witness fees, lawyer fees, inconvenience fees, lost use, and probably several more fees I’ve forgotten. That means they’re done delaying and want to be done with this issue. There is probably a cushion of a few thousand that the manufacturer will absorb to avoid court. you should be cognizant -

the replacement vehicle is a ‘purchase’ and you will owe taxes and fees associated with the sale. You are able to negotiate for these to be paid - a “zero cost to you transaction”. I did not have this issue on a limited production vehicle but did successfully get a ‘zero cost to me’ vehicle replacement incident to a lemon law suit.
The bottom line is that you need to specify it in writing if you want it as part of the settlement.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lemon law Audi that I purchased in Oregon- I live California most of the time... and Audi ordered the vehicle I had, I agreed to some additional options at my cost. I wanted to pick the car up in CA.. that meant 7500 in tax.. I had the car shipped to oregon and picked it up there ... just a key swap. Easy peasy. However, I had to ensure that my extended warranty transferred and Audi would only pay for things that were included in the original sales contract such as clear mask....

Shaved Ice

Reaction score
I was recently offered a buyback or replacement from FCA. For me, a buyback was the better option. There is no price negotiation with a replacement, even if local dealers are offering discounts or if the manufacturer is offering rebates to the public. It is a direct MSRP to MSRP exchange with you paying the difference. The buyback gave me the options to shop around for a deal or go with another brand, which I did.

OP
OP
Booth9999

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I believe they will still deduct some value from your 2017 as a "usage fee."
Is this true with replacement or just with buyback? This is why I was hoping to just get a replacement over buyback but like alway there seems to be more to it ugh. I’ll keep this updated as to the process and outcome.