2017 Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the engine condolences. I was a October 2016 order and delivery in March 2017. I bought at MSRP (I think $72K and change.) The truck is paid for so my primary pain point is the loss of use. I have another vehicle but it has pirelli summer performance tires = not practical during the new england winter months.

I traded in my 2014 Raptor at about the same point in its life. I think my trade value was 5K less than the purchase price after 2.5 years and 19K miles. That's certainly not the case with the 2017 Raptors as I've seen 25%-30% depreciation over 2.5 years vs. 6-8% for my gen1.

Not sure what I want to do yet. I'll be curious to hear how ford wants to move forward once they actually address my case and call me back ;-)

Again I am very sorry to hear about your raptor. I live in New England as well. I am glad you brought up the heavy depreciation on the GEN. 2 Raptors. I did a thread on this that got closed because all the people that wear blue oval glasses can not handle the truth. The reality is that the 2017's where holding their value fairly well until ford decided to over produce 2018 and 2019 models and they flooded the market with them, and now the depreciation is really bad as compared to the GEN. 1'S. It is good to hear THE TRUTH from somebody who actually owned a GEN. 1 and GEN. 2.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
pro-tip: don't say the word lawyer or counsel to anyone associated with ford until you have exhausted every possible negotiating tactic.

The second you say, lawyer, you better be serious. The help will stop immediately and moving forward from that, you'll need a lawyer to do your communicating for you.

Yes, I have learned that lesson.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pro-tip: don't say the word lawyer or counsel to anyone associated with ford until you have exhausted every possible negotiating tactic.

The second you say, lawyer, you better be serious. The help will stop immediately and moving forward from that, you'll need a lawyer to do your communicating for you.

That is a very good point. Exhaust all other options first. But I would still want a buy back.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for you that you have to go through this. You seem to be taking it better than I would be. With that being said though, most Ford dealers won't even think about giving out a loaner if you didn't get the ESP. And let's face it, with anything mass produced, there will be failures. I think it's crazy that some people think the failure rate should be 0.00% on these trucks. It doesn't matter if it's a $70,000 Raptor, a $300,000 Porsche 911, or a $20,000 Civic. They all break. I make a living fixing broken mechanical equipment.

If you are getting a full long block, I wouldn't be that concerned with the repair. Short block on the other hand... I'd be worried. And as far as depreciation, the Raptor still holds value better than 90% of the vehicles out there. Some people view an engine replacement as a good thing. Especially if it is a whole long block.

See what kind of deals the Ford CS rep can work out for you. Maybe make a few payments for you while you are in the shop? Or ESP? I wouldn't even bring up a buyback unless you are not getting anywhere else with CS. Good luck man.

OP
OP
iumbastu

iumbastu

Reaction score

I think this advice holds true with all sorts of conflict resolution. I'm a patient consumer and loyal Raptor owner. I won't toss the lawyer comment out unless i've hit the brick wall with a few VP's that are authorized to say both yes and no.

Don't ever take no from someone who's not authorized to say yes is some of the best advice my parents gave me. Keep pushing until you get to the right decision maker. Let's see how FoMoCo plays this...

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for you that you have to go through this. You seem to be taking it better than I would be. With that being said though, most Ford dealers won't even think about giving out a loaner if you didn't get the ESP. And let's face it, with anything mass produced, there will be failures. I think it's crazy that some people think the failure rate should be 0.00% on these trucks. It doesn't matter if it's a $70,000 Raptor, a $300,000 Porsche 911, or a $20,000 Civic. They all break. I make a living fixing broken mechanical equipment.

If you are getting a full long block, I wouldn't be that concerned with the repair. Short block on the other hand... I'd be worried. And as far as depreciation, the Raptor still holds value better than 90% of the vehicles out there. Some people view an engine replacement as a good thing. Especially if it is a whole long block.

See what kind of deals the Ford CS rep can work out for you. Maybe make a few payments for you while you are in the shop? Or ESP? I wouldn't even bring up a buyback unless you are not getting anywhere else with CS. Good luck man.

Hate to break the news to you but raptors are depreciating right now like boat anchors. If you think 20-30 percent is good, go check out a tacoma, tundra, forerunner, or land cruiser. Or even a jeep rubicon. As far as the buy back, why should the person who paid $ 70,000 for a build failure be forced to swallow the loss and depreciation hit. Makes no sense. By the way, the op already is aware how bad they depreciate because he did his homework.

OP
OP
iumbastu

iumbastu

Reaction score

Solid feedback...Appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. I had the impression from my SA that the replacement is a long block but he actually didn't specify so that's a great point to clarify. As I had planned to keep my truck for another 4-6 year a long block replacement is a good thing. Especially if I can get a ESP for my pain and suffering.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hate to break the news to you but raptors are depreciating right now like boat anchors. If you think 20-30 percent is good, go check out a tacoma, tundra, forerunner, or land cruiser. Or even a jeep rubicon. As far as the buy back, why should the person who paid $ 70,000 for a build failure be forced to swallow the loss and depreciation hit. Makes no sense. By the way, the op already is aware how bad they depreciate because he did his homework.
Sell yours ASAP. The sky is falling.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to detract from this guys thread like you intend to, but a Mustang depreciates poorly. A Raptor, like I stated, holds its' value better than 90% of all other vehicles on the road. Not sure what you are trying to write about a buy back. The English version please?

Apparently you don't understand English. Go do your homework and you will see how bad the GEN. 2'S are depreciating currently. Hold their value better than 90 percent of all vehicles ? really, are you kidding me. Go read KBB, CONSUMER REPORTS, OR CARS.COM and you will see which vehicles are top ten in least depreciation.