2017 Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iumbastu

Reaction score
All, some unlucky news here on my end. My '17 Screw with 22K miles went into limp mode on the way to work in early december and I just got the news that the ford hotline approved an engine replacement.

long story short: Trucks been babied and no engine mods since new. Apparently the timing chain came loose and as you can imagine bad things happened from there.

A couple of items.

1) I've had a loaner for a few days but need approval from FoMoCo to approve to be in a loaner until they wrap up the replacement. WTF with only 4 days max for loaner approval when warranty work is being done. And #2 why do I need to call for approval vs. dealer being able to exercise. Sigh - okay done venting on that topic.
2) Should I buckle up and accept the engine replacement or ask for a goodwill replacement.
3) I love my truck but I'm not sure about the longevity here. My gen 1 '14 was bullet proof and my Gen 2 has been relatively maintenance free (other than standard oil changes, locks freezing, rattle here there). maybe I'm better off starting fresh.

I've got some nice mods. Xpel front of truck, mirrors, B-pillars, C pillars, etc. Fogs/ADD rear bumper, upgraded stereo, ceramic coated, etc.

Apparently the 3.5 is backordered and unknown date for replacement. I've been without the truck for 3 weeks already. How patient should I be...?

Thx for feedback team. Kevin

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On #1.....it's a ford not a premium german car. loaners are not part of their business plan. be thankfull for what you are getting.

on #2..... I would have no problem with a new engine. if they did give you a replacement, you would not get full value for your 17, and in the end you would take a bath.

On #3.......that is what warranties are for. you do tend to worry about a motor grenading with 22k miles on it. usually that would happen in the 1st few hundred, or never at all. seems kind of random at 22k.

as long as they are giving you a loaner....let them take as much time as they need. keeps miles down on your truck, puts wear and tear on theirs.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
++ @goblues38

I’d push them to throw in an ESP or discount one for you. see the Flood Ford online ESP prices for guidelines. It’s a rare failure, and unusual. They’re fixing it so get it fixed. if you’re concerned about it, get the ESP and move on with life.

OP
OP
iumbastu

iumbastu

Reaction score
I hear you on #1. Venting....Of course it'd be great if I didn't have to wait on the 1-800 to ask for approval. Customer Experience suggestion: include the authorization for a loaner on the same request the dealer sends in authorizing the engine replacement. Seems a little more efficient and sends the message you care about your customers when unanticipated shi$t happens.

#2 was thinking the same thing. If the numbers worked, but probably better to push for an extended warranty at no cost.
#3 agree odd timing with 22K. Perhaps I'm just the unlucky outlier.

Appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
iumbastu

iumbastu

Reaction score
++ @goblues38

I’d push them to throw in an ESP or discount one for you. see the Flood Ford online ESP prices for guidelines. It’s a rare failure, and unusual. They’re fixing it so get it fixed. if you’re concerned about it, get the ESP and move on with life.

Great suggestion and helpful site with pricing

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
honestly, even with a loaner, an unknown time to repair is the problem.

Maybe consider how much longer without your truck is your "limit". i.e.: ok ford. If the engine replacement drags out due to no parts availability for more than an additional 3 weeks, we all agree that Ford will buy the truck back or replace it with a comparable new truck?

I made the mistake of being all too patient with Ford when the tailhousing of the transmission in my gt350r cracked and was leaking.

I didn't think to come to an agreed deadline for repair with them and ended up being without the vehicle for almost 4 months. No loaner either.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, some unlucky news here on my end. My '17 Screw with 22K miles went into limp mode on the way to work in early december and I just got the news that the ford hotline approved an engine replacement.

long story short: Trucks been babied and no engine mods since new. Apparently the timing chain came loose and as you can imagine bad things happened from there.

A couple of items.

1) I've had a loaner for a few days but need approval from FoMoCo to approve to be in a loaner until they wrap up the replacement. WTF with only 4 days max for loaner approval when warranty work is being done. And #2 why do I need to call for approval vs. dealer being able to exercise. Sigh - okay done venting on that topic.
2) Should I buckle up and accept the engine replacement or ask for a goodwill replacement.
3) I love my truck but I'm not sure about the longevity here. My gen 1 '14 was bullet proof and my Gen 2 has been relatively maintenance free (other than standard oil changes, locks freezing, rattle here there). maybe I'm better off starting fresh.

I've got some nice mods. Xpel front of truck, mirrors, B-pillars, C pillars, etc. Fogs/ADD rear bumper, upgraded stereo, ceramic coated, etc.

Apparently the 3.5 is backordered and unknown date for replacement. I've been without the truck for 3 weeks already. How patient should I be...?

Thx for feedback team. Kevin

Very sorry to hear about your raptor. I live not to far from you. 2017 and 22,000 miles and you have a engine failure occur. This is unacceptable, especially when you consider that new the truck was probably $ 65,000 to $ 69,000 if it is a loaded Screw. If you drove the truck in 2017, 2018, and 2019 that's 2.5 to 3 years and a average of 8800 miles per year, and the engine blows up. Completely unacceptable . If I where you I would make Ford buy the vehicle back, especially if you own the truck outright. This is a coensedance considering I just did a thread on raptor depreciation that touched on build quality. Unfortunately the thread got shut down because the moderators raptor ego got hurt. Some people can not handle the truth.

A engine failure at 22,000 miles is almost unbelievable on a vehicle being driven 8800 miles per year that costs north of $ 60,000.00. Get Ford to buy the truck back, and take a look at a tundra ( 1 million miles), Toyota LC ( BUILD LIFE 25 YEARS), Tacoma, forerunner, or even a LX 570 or GX 460. By the way I am not a raptor hater, I currently own a loaded 2019 with 16,000 miles and I actually love the truck and have no issues as of yet. But Fords over producing of the raptor and being more concerned with pushing out high volume leads to build quality issues, along with tanking depreciation.

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Good Luck. Kind of sad you bought their most expensive truck and they **** you around about a loaner. It may take a good lawyer, but I would make them buy it back. Your resale will be terrible !

OP
OP
iumbastu

iumbastu

Reaction score
honestly, even with a loaner, an unknown time to repair is the problem.

Maybe consider how much longer without your truck is your "limit". i.e.: ok ford. If the engine replacement drags out due to no parts availability for more than an additional 3 weeks, we all agree that Ford will buy the truck back or replace it with a comparable new truck?

I made the mistake of being all too patient with Ford when the tailhousing of the transmission in my gt350r cracked and was leaking.

I didn't think to come to an agreed deadline for repair with them and ended up being without the vehicle for almost 4 months. No loaner either.

Great advice as I didn't think about putting a performance clause in the repair request. Having lost the use of the truck for almost a month already with no estimate of when a replacement engine will land, isn't a great start. I would probably time bound the sourcing of the engine as the only time 'gate' i'd put in play as I wouldn't want the mechanics to rush on the installation.

That said after reading the feedback and advice. It may be best to consider a buyback if the economics make sense. Thank you for weighing in with your input.

OP
OP
iumbastu

iumbastu

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about your raptor. I live not to far from you. 2017 and 22,000 miles and you have a engine failure occur. This is unacceptable, especially when you consider that new the truck was probably $ 65,000 to $ 69,000 if it is a loaded Screw. If you drove the truck in 2017, 2018, and 2019 that's 2.5 to 3 years and a average of 8800 miles per year, and the engine blows up. Completely unacceptable . If I were you I would make Ford buy the vehicle back, especially if you own the truck outright. This is a coincidence considering I just did a thread on raptor depreciation that touched on build quality. Unfortunately the thread got shut down because the moderators raptor ego got hurt. Some people can not handle the truth.

A engine failure at 22,000 miles is almost unbelievable on a vehicle being driven 8800 miles per year that costs north of $ 60,000.00. Get Ford to buy the truck back, and take a look at a tundra ( 1 million miles), Toyota LC ( BUILD LIFE 25 YEARS), Tacoma, forerunner, or even a LX 570 or GX 460. By the way I am not a raptor hater, I currently own a loaded 2019 with 16,000 miles and I actually love the truck and have no issues as of yet. But Fords over producing of the raptor and being more concerned with pushing out high volume leads to build quality issues, along with tanking depreciation.

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Good Luck. Kind of sad you bought their most expensive truck and they **** you around about a loaner. It may take a good lawyer, but I would make them buy it back. Your resale will be terrible !

Thanks for the engine condolences. I was a October 2016 order and delivery in March 2017. I bought at MSRP (I think $72K and change.) The truck is paid for so my primary pain point is the loss of use. I have another vehicle but it has pirelli summer performance tires = not practical during the new england winter months.

I traded in my 2014 Raptor at about the same point in its life. I think my trade value was 5K less than the purchase price after 2.5 years and 19K miles. That's certainly not the case with the 2017 Raptors as I've seen 25%-30% depreciation over 2.5 years vs. 6-8% for my gen1.

Not sure what I want to do yet. I'll be curious to hear how ford wants to move forward once they actually address my case and call me back ;-)

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice as I didn't think about putting a performance clause in the repair request. Having lost the use of the truck for almost a month already with no estimate of when a replacement engine will land, isn't a great start. I would probably time bound the sourcing of the engine as the only time 'gate' i'd put in play as I wouldn't want the mechanics to rush on the installation.

That said after reading the feedback and advice. It may be best to consider a buyback if the economics make sense. Thank you for weighing in with your input.

Buy Back. You can not put a price tag on the time you have been without it and your car fax history will be terrible when you go to trade it or sell it. If Ford absolutely refuses even with a lawyer, then make them give you a lifetime warranty on the truck and pro rate the cost of the truck and apply it to the time you have been without it and demand a check from ford for lost usability.