2014 ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muskokaneil

Reaction score
I have a 2014. The truck quit on my at the end of March. I had it towed to the closest Ford dealer in Belleville Ontario.

They at first thought the issue was the starter so they replaced it, still no start so they replaced the electronic keys - still no joy. They then told me they suspected the ECU.

That was the last week in March, a replacement ECU apparently has been on order but is out of stock at ford.

Do I have any other options other that to continue to wait?

OP
OP
M

Muskokaneil

Reaction score
Yes no crank

I was on my way to Ottawa, the weather was bad, started in snow then cahenged to freezing rain then to rain. The underside of the truck was well coated in a thick slush. I stopped at a McDonald’s drive thru paid at the window, moved forward to the next window, then when the car in front of my left, I moved forward and the truck just stopped, it felt like it locked up. I immediately got a wrench symbol on the dash. It wouldn’t start when I turned the key it felt ceased.

Pushed it out of the drive through, and disconnected the battery to try to reset it, that didn’t work so I had it towed

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes no crank

I was on my way to Ottawa, the weather was bad, started in snow then cahenged to freezing rain then to rain. The underside of the truck was well coated in a thick slush. I stopped at a McDonald’s drive thru paid at the window, moved forward to the next window, then when the car in front of my left, I moved forward and the truck just stopped, it felt like it locked up. I immediately got a wrench symbol on the dash. It wouldn’t start when I turned the key it felt ceased.

Pushed it out of the drive through, and disconnected the battery to try to reset it, that didn’t work so I had it towed
Did you check your oil level? It almost sounds like the engine locked up. I would contact the dealer and confirm they’ve rotated the engine by hand to verify it turns freely.

Other than that there is a comprehensive pinpoint test for the starting system. The fact that they have replaced the starter and keys and now “think” it’s an ECU (which one?) issue tells me they are guessing instead of diagnosing.

OP
OP
M

Muskokaneil

Reaction score
The oil and all fluid levels were fine. I am sure you are correct that they are now just replacing components until they fine the one that is causing the issue.

Is there a place to order an ECU other than Ford directly, it seems a little odd having to wait so long for a part even with a chip shortage