2012 Steering rack needs replacing…Ford says part is obsolete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both boots are starting to leak and the steering rack needs to be replace. Ford is unable to find a steering rack anywhere in stock as they no longer make the part.…STG450. I’ve checked Tasca, Rock Auto etc and none has it in stock and there is no time frame when the will have it.

Has any OG with a Gen 1 gone an aftermarket route that works and has not caused any issue. My understanding is the SVT steering rack is hydraulic where a standard F150 uses an electronic version.

Basically the truck is sitting dead on the Ford lot.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are companies that will rebuild the steering rack for around $150. from what i understand, its bushings and seals. unless someone else has more knowledge about it. i was looking to get mine rebuilt, however my blown motor takes priority at the moment

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common issue with the older trucks, They do indeed use a discontinued rack. Just get it rebuilt as it will be significantly cheaper. The hoses changed on the newer rack, as did the hose interface to the pump. So, saying that, if you are pulling the rack, get the pump rebuilt too.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common issue with the older trucks, They do indeed use a discontinued rack. Just get it rebuilt as it will be significantly cheaper. The hoses changed on the newer rack, as did the hose interface to the pump. So, saying that, if you are pulling the rack, get the pump rebuilt too.
Do you know of any places that rebuild them? I’m expecting mine to fail any day now and didn’t know that it was discontinued. FYI mine started acting up around the 60-70k range and now I’m at 231k. Talk about milking it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We will be buying rebuilt racks going forward. Same for all Fords with hyd racks. Can't buy new Ford alternators once you get a few years down the road either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter