2012 Knock/Chirp on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BrandonSVT

Reaction score
@Canuck714 I haven't had the issue at all for at least the past two months. Not sure if it is the vct camp phasers or what. I watched a video and they actually have a little filter in them that maybe has some debris in it causing insufficient flow until the oil gets warm and flows better? It could also be the weather being warmer as well since this starting in March when it was in the 30's here at night.

Either way, the trucks running great so I am going to keep driving her.

Reaction score
Urrg... I was hoping you would of found something.... mine started making the same noise and I can't seem to find the cause. This was the only post of the exact noise. It's very hard to trace as it only does it at cold start... starts making the noise about 5 seconds after start then stops after about 30 seconds.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had a chirp /squeak just cold start and would only last 10 to 30 seconds.
It was the idler pulleys. The center bearing is getting dry
New idlers fixed it.
Take the belt off before you start it cold when you're fairly sure it would happen. Start and check for noise.
Spin the idlers and tensioner to see how they feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter