20" Tire Choices...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '14 will be here in a few weeks, and I am trying to get my list of mods together so I can have them ready and waiting when she shows up. The hardest decision has been tires... I already know what wheels I want, but need some help on tires.

My *current* plan is to keep the stock 17" wheels (sell the tires) and mount some aggressive tires on the 17s for when I want to go wheeling. The 20s will be for daily driving and light off-roading. That being said, I still want something that fits the truck and looks good while having good road manners and noise levels.

In 35x12.5x20 the options are a bit limited, but it seems like my top choices are the General Grabber AT2 & Nitto Trail Grappler. It seems like the Nitto's have mixed reviews while the Generals are a bit more tame. I keep hearing about the Toyo AT2, which are available in 35x12.5, but for some reason Tirerack doesn't list this model with the other Toyo's...?

If I step up to 325/60/20, will I have clearance issues? It is not much larger than stock but I am undecided on mid-perch at this point. At this size, there are more options like the Pirelli ATR (had these on my F-250 and LOVED THEM but a bit tame), the Duratrac, Terra Grappler, and the OE BFGs. It seems like the Duratrac's are well reviewed... how is the noise?

From everything I've read, it seems like the top contenders are 35x12.5 Toyo AT2 or 325/60 Duratrac's... thoughts?
Adam

Last edited:

JeepSRT8

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to do it go big, like the previous owner of my rig =P

Bling Bling!

ord-f150-svtraptor-9310-10110144-2-400_zps2e0b03b9.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Thanks for the useful feedback, but I was thinking something more like this:

5.jpg

Those wheels are so freaking exspensive - 2,300 a pop

ADV6 TS

Milez28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are going for looks and don't care about road noise.. go with Toyo MTs.

If you want quiet but still a little aggressive - stick with the All Terrain choices

Toyo AT2
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Duratrac's are not a good choice for warm weather locations. i had a set on my work truck and were a good tire in the winter but once summer hit they started to were quickly and chunked big time and only got about 25,00km out of them. i work in the oilfeild so put these tires thought every type of terrain. i got a set now on my Rap and got them studded to use as my winter tires only and will be getting a set of Methods and some mt's to run as my summer tires.

OP
OP
GTXgp

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those wheels are so freaking exspensive - 2,300 a pop

ADV6 TS
Not going to go with the ADV's, but just using that as an example of a 20" that can look good and still be functional and fit the truck well.

On my first lifted truck I had 15's and the idea of running 17s were "bling bling", now 17s are stock and 20's are "bling bling"... I think some people on here are a bit narrow-minded on wheel options, which is why I posted a great looking rig on 20s.

if you are going for looks and don't care about road noise.. go with Toyo MTs.

If you want quiet but still a little aggressive - stick with the All Terrain choices

Toyo AT2
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
I do care about noise, but holy crap those MT's are expensive compared to the Toyo's!

Duratrac's are not a good choice for warm weather locations. i had a set on my work truck and were a good tire in the winter but once summer hit they started to were quickly and chunked big time and only got about 25,00km out of them. i work in the oilfeild so put these tires thought every type of terrain. i got a set now on my Rap and got them studded to use as my winter tires only and will be getting a set of Methods and some mt's to run as my summer tires.
Thanks for the feedback on the Duratrac's. Being in Texas, the majority of our year is "warm weather" so that is good to know!

Adam

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like the Trail Grapplers. They're a bit louder than Toyo MTs, but wear well. I like the Toyo MTs as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the P3s in person as well.

OP
OP
GTXgp

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Trail Grapplers. They're a bit louder than Toyo MTs, but wear well. I like the Toyo MTs as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the P3s in person as well.

Louder than the Toyo MT's or the AT's? I would expect the Trail Grappler to be quieter than a MT...

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Trail Grappler is a MT. It's the Nitto version of the Toyo MT.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

MY VOTE:
Toyo MT for your wheeling OEM wheels and the Toyo AT2 for your street 20" wheels. With that said, it's your truck, but I would not put 20" wheels on a Raptor and I do not think the tire/wheel combo on the sample photo you posted looks right. In my eyes, it's like putting a mud-terrain on a sports car.

Good luck with your decision.