20" Tire Choices...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GTXgp

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Trail Grappler is a MT. It's the Nitto version of the Toyo MT.
That is interesting, because the way Nitto describes the Trail Grappler sounds more like an AT tire compared to the Mud Grappler that is a true MT:

"The Trail Grappler® M/T blends some of the off-road performance of the Mud Grappler® with the on-road comfort of the Terra Grappler® to create a tire that is both aggressive and quiet. For off-road performance, the 3-ply sidewall and thick rubber construction increase puncture resistance. On the tread surface, the blocks provide additional biting edges that command lateral stability and enhance forward traction. For on-road comfort, Nitto’s engineers used advanced sound analysis equipment to reduce noise levels commonly associated with off-road tires" Source: Nitto Tire

MY VOTE:
Toyo MT for your wheeling OEM wheels and the Toyo AT2 for your street 20" wheels. With that said, it's your truck, but I would not put 20" wheels on a Raptor and I do not think the tire/wheel combo on the sample photo you posted looks right. In my eyes, it's like putting a mud-terrain on a sports car.

Good luck with your decision.
I do appreciate your opinion on it. In my opinion, the "mud-terrain on a sports car" would be a better analogy for "z-rates summer tires on a raptor".... or even "highway all-season on a raptor". I still want a good off-road or AT tire on the 20s and I think that pic looks darn good, and from my searching there are a lot of serious off-roaders on here running 20s. Here is another great looking rig on 20s:

de4ypy9e.jpg

...but what do those guys know about off-roading? ;) Here is one more:

7735316412_94631e6bf9_b.jpg

Point being, I don't think 20s look out of place at all on a Raptor with the right wheel/tire combo.

Adam

Last edited:

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Adam,

It's less of a mud tire than their MudGrappler, but it's still a mud terrain; they do call it a Nitto TrailGrappler MT.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the truck in that photo either. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't think it looks right. I'm pretty sure that the owner of that truck is a member here. He has the Brembo brake kit that will not work with 17" wheels... it may actually require 20" wheels. The brake kit is also nearly $5k.

EDIT: Yes, those brakes do require 20" wheels.
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/raptor-brembo.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTXgp

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the truck in that photo either. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't think it looks right.

I don't think you are being argumentative, I think you have a completely valid point when looking at some of the 20's I've seen on this site. I just think it can be done right. For some reason one of the pics in my last post didn't go through... How about THIS one :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 92

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking better, but that truck has fiberglass fenders and therefore probably 37" tires... more sidewall = better look and performance for a Raptor IMO.

Milez28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are being argumentative, I think you have a completely valid point when looking at some of the 20's I've seen on this site. I just think it can be done right. For some reason one of the pics in my last post didn't go through... How about THIS one :)

Ive seen that truck in action.. and yes those are 20's and yes, it does haul ass in the dirt

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Per TMX: Running 20s with 37s gives you only 3/16" less sidewall than the factory setup. That being said, I plan to run 20s on 35s because I like the look and I don't wheel often enough or hard enough for it to make a difference for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter and I will not argue that more sidewall is better for off-roading. That being said, do as you please.

My recommendation: sell the factory wheels and tires and use that money to purchase Boatecs...run 20s on 37s and never have to worry about swapping out tires when you want to go wheeling.

Test_Eng

Reaction score
Here is what I have for the spring summer and fall wheels. Picked them up from a member on the forum. I painted the inserts.
aqezymy8.jpg
udymytej.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk