1st Trip of the Year! Raptor Run 5 Sept 17-19 to Afton Canyon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few of us are headed out on Raptor Run 5 the weekend after next. This trip is to the Afton Canyon area which is on the Mojave Road (more below and attached).

You're welcome to join us for this 1.5 day trip (arrive & set-up camp Friday night; drive all day Saturday/night; drive Sunday AM).

Disclaimer: These trips and events are not affiliated with any group, club or website and you are welcome to participate at your own risk. This information is provided as a courtesy and whether or not you choose to participate is solely up to you and those who may accompany you.

[F
ONT=Verdana]Raptor Run 5[/FONT]

September 17 - 19 (Friday night – Sunday)

Our first trip of the 2010 desert season will start in Afton Canyon which you may know as the end of the Mojave Road. Afton Canyon is part of the Mojave Road (see below) and this area has some of the best river beds for Raptor running in the South West. Get your Raptor and your camping gear ready!

Meeting place/time: We are unsure as to where we will be camping so we will meet at the Union 76 gas station at 8PM: Calico 76, 35555 Ghost Town Road, Yermo, CA 92398 1-760-254-3959 which is off the 15 freeway after Barstow, CA. 15 freeway, take exit 191 for Ghost Town Road and turn left at Daggett-Yermo Road/Ghost Town Road. This Union 76 is open 24/7 – we’ll top off our gas tanks/cans there.

After meeting and gassing up we’ll get back on the 15 freeway and drive to the Afton Road exit (a distance of 28.5 miles - map showing route: http://tinyurl.com/2ccnbb7) where we’ll head east past the Afton Canyon Campground to our campground which will be a location we’ll select when we get there. Note: This will be primitive camping (no restrooms or showers). Bring toilet paper and a shovel as all “deposits” need to be buried. You’ll also want to bring plenty of water, food, cooler & ice, a table and camping chairs as well as firewood.

We’ll be camping in an area filled with washes under an hour’s drive from the freeway. This will be a fun night Raptor drive to our camp spot. We can cruise all over the OHV area and even go into Mojave National Preserve...maybe to Kelso Dunes and some stuff around that area.

If you are unable to meet Friday night and you plan on going you’ll want to stay in touch with Dan and Brian to find out where we think we’ll be camping which is where we can meet later Friday night. We may not have cell service so we can’t rely solely on that.

About the area: Afton Canyon Natural Area is located 37 miles northeast of Barstow along Interstate 15 between the Afton Road and Basin Road exits. Afton Canyon is designated as an Area of Critical Environmental Concern to protect plant and wildlife habitat, and to preserve scenic values of the riparian area within the canyon. Early western explorers passing through this area included Jedediah Smith, Kit Carson and John Charles Fremont. The route following this road, known as the Mojave Road, is a rugged 4-wheel-drive scenic tour running from Fort Mojave on the Colorado River near Needles to Camp Cady near Harvard Road.

Links:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/afton.html (Area info, camping, shooting, etc.)
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/camping.html (Camping & fires)
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Afton_Canyon (Dirtopia)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few of us are headed out on Raptor Run 5 the weekend after next. This trip is to the Afton Canyon area which is on the Mojave Road (more below and attached).

You're welcome to join us for this 1.5 day trip (arrive & set-up camp Friday night; drive all day Saturday/night; drive Sunday AM).

Disclaimer: These trips and events are not affiliated with any group, club or website and you are welcome to participate at your own risk. This information is provided as a courtesy and whether or not you choose to participate is solely up to you and those who may accompany you.

Raptor Run 5
September 17 - 19 (Friday night – Sunday)

Our first trip of the 2010 desert season will start in Afton Canyon which you may know as the end of the Mojave Road. Afton Canyon is part of the Mojave Road (see below) and this area has some of the best river beds for Raptor running in the South West. Get your Raptor and your camping gear ready!

Meeting place/time: We are unsure as to where we will be camping so we will meet at the Union 76 gas station at 8PM: Calico 76, 35555 Ghost Town Road, Yermo, CA 92398 1-760-254-3959 which is off the 15 freeway after Barstow, CA. 15 freeway, take exit 191 for Ghost Town Road and turn left at Daggett-Yermo Road/Ghost Town Road. This Union 76 is open 24/7 – we’ll top off our gas tanks/cans there.

After meeting and gassing up we’ll get back on the 15 freeway and drive to the Afton Road exit (a distance of 28.5 miles - map showing route: http://tinyurl.com/2ccnbb7) where we’ll head east past the Afton Canyon Campground to our campground which will be a location we’ll select when we get there. Note: This will be primitive camping (no restrooms or showers). Bring toilet paper and a shovel as all “deposits” need to be buried. You’ll also want to bring plenty of water, food, cooler & ice, a table and camping chairs as well as firewood.

We’ll be camping in an area filled with washes under an hour’s drive from the freeway. This will be a fun night Raptor drive to our camp spot. We can cruise all over the OHV area and even go into Mojave National Preserve...maybe to Kelso Dunes and some stuff around that area.

If you are unable to meet Friday night and you plan on going you’ll want to stay in touch with Dan and Brian to find out where we think we’ll be camping which is where we can meet later Friday night. We may not have cell service so we can’t rely solely on that.

About the area: Afton Canyon Natural Area is located 37 miles northeast of Barstow along Interstate 15 between the Afton Road and Basin Road exits. Afton Canyon is designated as an Area of Critical Environmental Concern to protect plant and wildlife habitat, and to preserve scenic values of the riparian area within the canyon. Early western explorers passing through this area included Jedediah Smith, Kit Carson and John Charles Fremont. The route following this road, known as the Mojave Road, is a rugged 4-wheel-drive scenic tour running from Fort Mojave on the Colorado River near Needles to Camp Cady near Harvard Road.

Links:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/afton.html (Area info, camping, shooting, etc.)
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/camping.html (Camping & fires)
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Afton_Canyon (Dirtopia)

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Sweet Dan!! I've been plotting our route for Saturday and Sunday. The drive will be mostly dirt with some pavement. Most of the roads are 2WD and should give us some high speed ability.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Sweet Dan!! I've been plotting our route for Saturday and Sunday. The drive will be mostly dirt with some pavement. Most of the roads are 2WD and should give us some high speed ability.

ChadB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be at work that saturday and will be unable to make the trip. Ive been wanting to go on this road for some time now. Next time I guess.

ChadB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be at work that saturday and will be unable to make the trip. Ive been wanting to go on this road for some time now. Next time I guess.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish i could make it but the i wont have the truck in time. Est delivery is 9/28....but hope to make the Barstow to Primm run if it is still on! Looking forward to you expert Raptor owners to teach me the in's and out's of the truck once it come in.....i've learn tons about it already just from your post but there's some things you cant learn until your behind the wheel

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish i could make it but the i wont have the truck in time. Est delivery is 9/28....but hope to make the Barstow to Primm run if it is still on! Looking forward to you expert Raptor owners to teach me the in's and out's of the truck once it come in.....i've learn tons about it already just from your post but there's some things you cant learn until your behind the wheel

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wish i could make it but the i wont have the truck in time. Looking forward to you expert Raptor owners to teach me the in's and out's of the truck once it come in.....i've learn tons about it already just from your post but there's some things you cant learn until your behind the wheel

Talon, you might want to consider riding with one of the Raptor owners on this trip. There should be an open front passenger seat in someone's Raptor and you'll get a chance to enjoy the experience in Afton Canyon and learn about offroading a bit while enjoying a couple nights camping under the stars.

Also (FYI), we're working on an alternate trip to the Barstow-to-Primm run either in the Vegas area or in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park/Ocotillo Wells for those of us who aren't going to do the B-to-P pickup truck run.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wish i could make it but the i wont have the truck in time. Looking forward to you expert Raptor owners to teach me the in's and out's of the truck once it come in.....i've learn tons about it already just from your post but there's some things you cant learn until your behind the wheel

Talon, you might want to consider riding with one of the Raptor owners on this trip. There should be an open front passenger seat in someone's Raptor and you'll get a chance to enjoy the experience in Afton Canyon and learn about offroading a bit while enjoying a couple nights camping under the stars.

Also (FYI), we're working on an alternate trip to the Barstow-to-Primm run either in the Vegas area or in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park/Ocotillo Wells for those of us who aren't going to do the B-to-P pickup truck run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter