1st Hiccup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicles throw codes because something isn't right or wasn't right at a particular point in time.
Your truck is under warranty, it was not cheap.
Sure, I'd read the code myself and google...then I call the dealer to bring it in and tell them what to look at.

How people find comfort in an warning light on the dash 'going away' is amusing.

I would read the code and go from there. No way I would waste my time at the dealership and risk my trucks health. Many dealerships are the opposite of what they are supposed to be for vehicle owners under warranty. Most are this way. I said most, not all.

My vehicles wont be back to the service dept unless the problem is identified by me first and costs to much out of pocket to fix, or unless its being towed in and I couldnt fix it myself. I dont let service dept or quick lube places change oil or rotate tires either. Dealership Service departments, as you all know, are not Ford. If I had the money I could have a Ford dealership and hire all of you to be in my service dept. Point being is that the attrition rate at most service departments is almost 100 percent and the guys/gals working on your truck dont give a shit about you or the truck. Again, most, not all. Nothing is 100 percent ****** up.

No, Im not jaded. I have never had a positive service dept experience yet. And I have had way too many under warranty vehicles to list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowdy350

Reaction score
Mine popped a WRENCH light a few weeks ago. I chalked it up as my fault. I was in manual shift mode and pulling some small hills. I was basically see'n how much boost it would pull under a load. I guess the ECM didn't care for that. I pulled over after the truck went to "limp" mode with no power. I pulled my NGuage and checked for codes. Nothing came up so I did a reset anyhow. Wrench is gone and truck drives fine.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things seem very finicky.

It takes some getting used to for sure. For all the quirks its still awesome. And for me to say that, if you know my story, goes a long way to the Gen2 credit.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would read the code and go from there. No way I would waste my time at the dealership and risk my trucks health. Many dealerships are the opposite of what they are supposed to be for vehicle owners under warranty. Most are this way. I said most, not all.

My vehicles wont be back to the service dept unless the problem is identified by me first and costs to much out of pocket to fix, or unless its being towed in and I couldnt fix it myself. I dont let service dept or quick lube places change oil or rotate tires either. Dealership Service departments, as you all know, are not Ford. If I had the money I could have a Ford dealership and hire all of you to be in my service dept. Point being is that the attrition rate at most service departments is almost 100 percent and the guys/gals working on your truck dont give a shit about you or the truck. Again, most, not all. Nothing is 100 percent ****** up.

No, Im not jaded. I have never had a positive service dept experience yet. And I have had way too many under warranty vehicles to list.

Agreed, most are f'd up, I do know one good service department...it also happens to be the dealer that let me order at MSRP in NJ. Small dealer, no 'advisors', just a two guys at the counter who do parts and appointments, know what they are talking about, know I know what I am talking about, no BS. There are two highway dealers closer to me, what you say is what they are. The dealer I know is the exception.

Quick lube? WhoTF in their right mind uses a quick lube joint!

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick lube? WhoTF in their right mind uses a quick lube joint![/QUOTE said:
About 65 percent of the people reading this use quick lube or service dept for oil changes, my guess.

Wouldn't know a torque wrench from a lug wrench.

I have my 9 year old and 4 year old under my cars as I work on them. Showing them how things work and why. I show them networking, Info Sec, Dry wall, gun safety etc. Growing up poor in country has its advantages and taught me how to do things myself. And my Dad didnt accept half ass work. Hoping my kids grow up with a little bit of working sense. Its one thing to have work ethic, but knowing how to work is something entirely different.

Ok, Im preaching.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you last two posters for real?

The discussion is about the PCM, No Jiffy or Quick Lube will fix that.
A screw driver to the PCM, hummmmmm; Maybe, if your a wiz, I guess.

I would think 99% of guys that come on here do most of what they can on there own.

Last edited:

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '14 threw a code a few weeks ago, just before a long road trip. Still under warranty, but to coordinate to get it to the dealer and such, PITA. Remembered I had a reader from my '12 and still had the Torque Pro app, luckily found the reader.
Can't recall the code, but it was the fuel system pressure.
Recall reading here/F150 forum about the cap-less fuel filler not sealing correctly. Hit it with some spray lube and operated it a number of times. Error code gone.

Sometime taking to the dealer is more of an ordeal than it's worth. Sure we have a service manager that is great to deal with, but they/he is so busy for little things it's more of a pain to schedule.

Both Raptors my first oil change was at a Quick Lube. Those of you 'complaining' about taking a vehicle there...
1. Many dealer ships now have them.
2. You think a dealership is going to put a real mechanic on an oil change? Likely get the new hire/lowest person on the totem pole.
3. A few of the Quick Lubes I have been in have guys that are part owner/managers also doing the work, so they have taken extra care.
4. The QL does a better job of cleaning my windows and vacuuming the inside, rare the dealerships do either.

Used to do my own oil changes on all, still will on occasion. Any time there is something more involved than LOF/Tires then I do take them to the dealer.