110k Mile Preventative Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdholder

Reaction score
Besides Phasers, I’m interested in other items that may need replacing at above 100k miles?

I’ve done the shock rebuild. And Transfer case and diff service.

I’m always fearful of “flushing the trans” because of a strange correlation with past vehicles needing a “rebuild” soon after a trans flush. Is this an unwarranted fear?

What about engine mounts? Body mounts? Front suspension bushings? I’ve done sway-bar end links.

Dumb question but are the bushings replaceable in upper and lower control arms? Tie rod ends? What else?

Thanks!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Bushings and other soft parts I replace as needed. But a basic 100k service would be:

Oil change
Transmission filter change
T-case, front and rear diff oil
Spark plugs
Air filter
Cabin air filter
Coolant
Brake fluid flush
Rebuild shocks if been more than 40k miles since last time

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a crap shoot. My old Chevy Tahoe’s needed water pumps, seals and gaskets at just over 100k. The 90’s Subies needed timing belts at 99k or else. The early XC90’s had the bad GM trannies.

Like Nex said, just stick to the standard wear out service parts like filters, brakes, plugs, thermostat, tires. IWE’s used to get a lot of press on the forum.

Don’t go too nuts.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d do the tranny if you haven’t already. I plan on doing mine around 70-75k (I’m @ 56k now on my 2020) I’ve already swapped the fluid in the diffs/T-case around 35-40k miles & will do so again @ 75-80k (probably just after the trans flush so I can spread the cost out some) I also did a coolant flush @ 45-50k & will do that again at around 100k or just prior.

I imagine you’ve already done the brakes but even if you have plenty of meat left on pads/rotors I think it makes sense to bleed the fluid every 50k as the fluid will degrade over time regardless of whether you even drive it.

I do the engine air filter & cabin filters every 15k

As far as shocks go…..man am I on the fence w/ this, I tow a 3000-3500 twin PWC trailer semi-regularly during summer doing 1 long 1500 mile road trip a year w/ that trailer, 2 dogs, 2 kids + wife & 400-450 lbs of gear in bed/cab & def get some sag/wear from that too….just finished one of these trips recently & while my truck regains it’s posture so to speak within 36 hrs of relieving the load, & it seems to ride just as smooth (hard to compare to new when you can’t go back to back) - I’m convinced it’s my springs that need replacing @ this point, not my shocks. Both front/rear springs make squeaky/creaky noises from time to time & after recently swapping in a fresh set of KO2s, I get a lil rub someplace @ full lock backing up or pulling into parking spaces or driveways etc esp @ odd angles- never ever happened before so I believe my front springs have squished some

It’s such a huge expense & overall PITA to properly refresh the suspension on these trucks it really gives you solid reason to pause & do the math on what trading out for a new one looks like vs. putting in the $4-$5k to overhaul the suspension @ 40-60k miles + the expensive fluid swap intervals

I’m going to “need” to do the suspension + trans/diffs/T-case fluids + brakes (still on originals @ 56k) + coolant all on/around the same time frame.

Lastly- these 3.5HOs seem to respond very well to a fresh set of plugs- I had a 2018 previously & also swapped em on my 2020 w/ the colder pre-gapped performance plugs both of em I did it between 30-40k miles & immediately had smoother idle & better throttle response. I’d do the plugs every 35k miles they’re not that pricey anyhow

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d do the tranny if you haven’t already. I plan on doing mine around 70-75k (I’m @ 56k now on my 2020) I’ve already swapped the fluid in the diffs/T-case around 35-40k miles & will do so again @ 75-80k (probably just after the trans flush so I can spread the cost out some) I also did a coolant flush @ 45-50k & will do that again at around 100k or just prior.

I imagine you’ve already done the brakes but even if you have plenty of meat left on pads/rotors I think it makes sense to bleed the fluid every 50k as the fluid will degrade over time regardless of whether you even drive it.

I do the engine air filter & cabin filters every 15k

As far as shocks go…..man am I on the fence w/ this, I tow a 3000-3500 twin PWC trailer semi-regularly during summer doing 1 long 1500 mile road trip a year w/ that trailer, 2 dogs, 2 kids + wife & 400-450 lbs of gear in bed/cab & def get some sag/wear from that too….just finished one of these trips recently & while my truck regains it’s posture so to speak within 36 hrs of relieving the load, & it seems to ride just as smooth (hard to compare to new when you can’t go back to back) - I’m convinced it’s my springs that need replacing @ this point, not my shocks. Both front/rear springs make squeaky/creaky noises from time to time & after recently swapping in a fresh set of KO2s, I get a lil rub someplace @ full lock backing up or pulling into parking spaces or driveways etc esp @ odd angles- never ever happened before so I believe my front springs have squished some

It’s such a huge expense & overall PITA to properly refresh the suspension on these trucks it really gives you solid reason to pause & do the math on what trading out for a new one looks like vs. putting in the $4-$5k to overhaul the suspension @ 40-60k miles + the expensive fluid swap intervals

I’m going to “need” to do the suspension + trans/diffs/T-case fluids + brakes (still on originals @ 56k) + coolant all on/around the same time frame.

Lastly- these 3.5HOs seem to respond very well to a fresh set of plugs- I had a 2018 previously & also swapped em on my 2020 w/ the colder pre-gapped performance plugs both of em I did it between 30-40k miles & immediately had smoother idle & better throttle response. I’d do the plugs every 35k miles they’re not that pricey anyhow
Hm, interesting on the plugs, thought colder without a tune would be bad or cause it to be too rich?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hm, interesting on the plugs, thought colder without a tune would be bad or cause it to be too rich?
I ran them w/ a tune but I don’t think it would be adverse on factory tune- im
Sure plenty on here running those stock as well as on other F150s

And regardless you would benefit w/ fresh set of the standard plugs too I think would see similar benefit, these HPDI twin turbos seem to chew through plugs quicker than I was ever used to on n/a V8s

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran them w/ a tune but I don’t think it would be adverse on factory tune- im
Sure plenty on here running those stock as well as on other F150s

And regardless you would benefit w/ fresh set of the standard plugs too I think would see similar benefit, these HPDI twin turbos seem to chew through plugs quicker than I was ever used to on n/a V8s
yeah i swap them out every 30k on mine, but was always curious on the FP ones offered, cool they work well with stock with some benefits.