10R80 stuck in tow mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

F100Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you get it figured out! In the meantime quit complaining if your getting up to 25 mpg in that old truck! :rotflmao:
hahaha! I just had to throw that in there! Frustrated trying to figure out why it is stuck in tow.
The amount of hours so far is beyond crazy making it all work n function.

Being a good 2000 lb lighter than a stock raptor the downshift, compression brake is modified 10 fold. It's kinda fun to hear that blip of throttle each downshift and great for stopping but with ZERO coast ability . . .

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Better get your 1966 owners /repair manual out . Ha Ha . maybe something to do with the tow/brake controller , is that installed? or trailer wiring Harness detecting a trailer

OP
OP
F

F100Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better get your 1966 owners /repair manual out . Ha Ha . maybe something to do with the tow/brake controller , is that installed? or trailer wiring Harness detecting a trailer
I looked thru the ‘66 owners manual but didn’t see anything about detect trailer but did see RF Traction control.
I then read cluster and it is seeing
No Trailer connected although does see
F100Raptor as possible trailer. 836706FF-D6E9-458D-816E-244290920329.jpeg

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
I have had an odd problem on a couple occasions with my old F-150 and my wife's Expedition where when I disconnected the trailer, for some reason the system thought it was still connected. At each vehicle startup, it would jump to the trailer screen. In both vehicles, I found if I reconnected the trailer and then disconnected it while the vehicle was still on, it stopped prompting me by starting with that screen. This is definitely different than what you're describing as Tow Haul mode, but it may be worth a shot connecting and disconnecting a trailer while the vehicle is on in both instances. Many people on these forums have described they would like to always have the truck start and stay in Sport mode. I haven't seen a comment that the system will stay in any mode other than Normal after startup or shut down. You might try reseating your fuses or a battery disconnect.

OP
OP
F

F100Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

See post #7

Reflash means fully erased and reloaded.

I did that to the Instrument Cluster, PCM, BCM and the TCM. Started over with a full As Built then did all the proper software upgrades. (PCM unintentional) (I had the stupid worthless PATS delete done & it zapped it)

OP
OP
F

F100Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have narrowed the issue down now.

PIDS all good and all reflashed entire circuits good I have it narrowed down to the Shift Interlock switch.
No clue why it would default to Tow mode vs any other mode or why it would not reset to standard mode.

But, After doing a re-flash on the TCM it wipped out the PCM so now I need a full PATS reset done. IDS no longer allows that unless you spend big $$ on bonds and insurance policies etc.

Trying to find a local locksmith that can do that for me.