100% Bolt on Dual Shock Testing Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need to learn something here. and please forgive me. what is the difference between a dual shock setup compared to a single bigger, stiffer shock? i would think a dual shock setup would stiffen the ride a bit correct? i spent most of my time with an offroad car. not so much a truck so i know there are going to be differences, but im not very informed when it comes to shocks for these trucks. if you could, tell me what the advantages are over a bigger single shock, it would be most helpful. is it due to the amount of room we have to work with there? the angle of the second shock, or are other factors involved?

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i need to learn something here. and please forgive me. what is the difference between a dual shock setup compared to a single bigger, stiffer shock? i would think a dual shock setup would stiffen the ride a bit correct? i spent most of my time with an offroad car. not so much a truck so i know there are going to be differences, but im not very informed when it comes to shocks for these trucks. if you could, tell me what the advantages are over a bigger single shock, it would be most helpful. is it due to the amount of room we have to work with there? the angle of the second shock, or are other factors involved?

Good question.

With a dual setup you are doing a few things. First, you are adding the ability with the second shock to make position sensitive adjustments via the bypass tubes on the secondary shock. Having a second external bypass shock will increase damping control in the front end which in turn results in less shock fade, better cooling plus adding a secondary bump zone with much better tuning characteristics vs single shock setup.

Remember, the goal isn't to stiffen the front end, but rather to be able to control the spring/wheel/compression better so you can can optimize the travel through the whole cycle. The ultimate goal is to get the suspension to suck up as much as possible without blowing through the shock bump after bump.

Also, we set up the second bypass shock to be in line with the factory mounting location of the coil-over on the LCA keeping the motion ratio virtually the same as Ford intended.

Jarrett

Last edited: