GEN 2 “Thud” sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but if it was the torque converter would I hear or feel it messing up driving around?
Neh, not dumb. I am by no means a transmission expert, just speaking on experience.

Calling @Old-Raptor-guy and @FordTechOne for expertise

I went to torque converter because thats the only rotating mass when you experience issues.

Torquing moving the mounts was the other movement I thought of.

Does it ever flutter shifting gears or have a hard/awkward shift?

OP
OP
WNCgen2

WNCgen2

Reaction score
Neh, not dumb. I am by no means a transmission expert, just speaking on experience.

Calling @Old-Raptor-guy and @FordTechOne for expertise

I went to torque converter because thats the only rotating mass when you experience issues.

Torquing moving the mounts was the other movement I thought of.

Does it ever flutter shifting gears or have a hard/awkward shift?
In the month I’ve owned the truck I’ve had one harder than normal shift from 4-3. Other than that, it’s shifted just fine.

OP
OP
WNCgen2

WNCgen2

Reaction score
Tried to capture a video. Let the truck warm up and put it in drive with zero noises. The times I’ve noticed the noise was after driving around town after 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately I’m at work and can’t take it for a drive.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sound like it is inside or outside the cab?
Never heard a torque converter makea thud noise, and it spins at engine RPM so it would be a pretty fast thud,thud,thud,thud. Fast like 10 times a second at idle (600÷60 sec = 10 times a second).

Need more info,

Is it just once randomly or once it starts is it pretty regular? If so how often(1 every couple secs or 1 every couple minutes).

OP
OP
WNCgen2

WNCgen2

Reaction score
Sound like it is inside or outside the cab?
Never heard a torque converter makea thud noise, and it spins at engine RPM so it would be a pretty fast thud,thud,thud,thud. Fast like 10 times a second at idle (600÷60 sec = 10 times a second).

Need more info,

Is it just once randomly or once it starts is it pretty regular? If so how often(1 every couple secs or 1 every couple minutes).
Sounds like it’s outside the cab while I’m in the driver seat. Seams like the truck has to be driven a little and then once I stop (at a drive through) I hear it off an on. Sometimes quiet, sometimes a little louder. I’m completely stumped. A few noises (5-10) then a few seconds of silence. Then some more noise.