How To Modify a SCrew rear seat latch to lock in the down position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotpar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the TRR got tired of my rear seat popping up after getting in the air. With Raptoberfest coming up, figured I better do something about it.

Basically I removed the factory latch and cut a deeper groove in it so it locks both down and up using the factory latch handle under the seat.

Tools needed:
Large flathead screwdriver or real small pry bar
Dremel with 3/8" drum bit(or a milling macine)
Small pick
T-50 Torx bit

Remove the cover on the side of the hinge by removing the single Phillips screw.

Remove the T-50 Torx bolt from the latch pivot.

Put the large screwdriver and pry the mechanism apart to release the latch, pivot sleeve and spring(picture taken as an afterthought T-50 bolt still installed)
7305-removing-latch.jpg

7304-removing-latch.jpg

Latch before grinding:
7302-latch-factory-state-unlockable-down-only-up.jpg

Latch after grinding, basically follow the straight line and grind an armpit into the nub:
7303-latch-after-ready-lock.jpg

Clean it off, put the spring back on, sleeve back in, and regrease it. To put back in, pry the jaws apart and slide the sleeve in. Set the spring legs back on the ledge with pick. Once spring is set put the screwdriver on the sleeve and whack the top of the handle with your palm and it should pop back in place, repeat as needed. Put the T-50 bolt back in, cover on, Phillips screw in, and finish your beer.

If you ground it right it will lock in the down position.

Ideally I would have like to take the whole hinge apart and taken proper measurements of the latch and what it locks to, but that seemed more wok than reward. One of these vendors can do that and make some beer money cutting some per made latches.

Firslt time posting pictures with an iPad, pretty sure it will be screwed up...

Last edited:

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing this, but my only reservation is the DU-HA storage, it sits pretty tight with the bottom of the seat. It'd be a pain to squeeze in between to reach the release handles.