What would you ask SVT Engineering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeedyV10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try hitting or bumping the button that moves them in and out just a bit. Mine don't do this and I think that may be why. mine are all the way back but the pressure is released. let me know if I made any sense.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

or helps

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

ask them if all frf members gets the build date info and specs. because they like us and we are waiting so patiently.

I'll try that! Thanks!!!!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who better to ask about running a shock testing week than these guys? Im sure they will be interested in it and maybe bring a donor truck and then we aint got to worry about hurting

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On January 16th, 2013 Ford SVT opened it's doors to 25+ Raptor owners. They had bagels, OJ and coffee waiting for us in an auditorium. We had a snack and listened to Jamal Hameedi, Kerry Baldori (Chief Function Engineering), and Raj Sarker (Marketing) go through the same presentation that was used to promote the Raptor within Ford.

Based on the questions posted in this thread, and reviewing the previous questions asked to SVT on the other thread, I came up with about 30 questions. I had them printed and ready to ask. It got to the point that the marketing guy (Raj) kept coming back to me for more questions. I didn't get through them all, but a lot of the popular ones were addressed. I'm sure I came more organized for questions than what they were ready for.

I would like to thank Ford SVT for taking the time out of their schedules and discussing Raptor with us enthusiast.

Here are the questions that were asked and the questions responded by SVT. I took notes and tried to capture everything. If the guys who where there have anything to add, feel free.

Question and answer session with Ford SVT

1. Future plans for the Raptor, will it continue, are there any changes anticipated?
• When the Raptor was created, no one anticipated the response and enthusiasm that it has received. Because of that and the sales numbers that are being achieved, the Raptor will continue into the foreseeable future. They could not comment on any changes but did say that the raptor is always evolving.

2. Would ford ever consider a Raptorized Bronco or Ranger?
• No plans for anything like this. The Raptor is based off a current platform, and there are no platforms other than the F-150 that it fits. They also noted that there was no follow up to the Ranger (Sorry 6.2).

3. Would Ford consider making an Ecoboost raptor?
• SVT took a poll and gauged interest at the meeting. Some stated they would sell their Raptor today and get an Ecoboosted Raptor if there was one. SVT mentioned that there are pluses and minuses to the Ecoboost. Good: torque, fuel economy, Bad: heat soak, and inner coolers. (my perception, it seems like they have not really considered this as an option)

4. Would Ford consider selling the Raptor from the factory Supercharged?
• No, it would lessen an already slim market by severely reducing fuel economy. At that point, they asked the crowd if they thought the raptor doesn’t have enough power. Almost everyone agreed that the raptor has more than enough power offroad and most thought it had plenty on road as well. Thoroughly demonstrating their point of the reduced market. They stated that there are some great aftermarket options for those who would want a supercharger. (Such as Roush, that we later learned during the Roush tour, will still remain under factory warranty depending on the supercharger size). They also noted that Roush is able to bore the 6.2 out to get achieve 7.0L.

5. IWE system problems, why did Ford go with this design.
• The system passed regular durability and they stated that they had to draw the line somewhere as to what parts to upgrade.

6. What was the reason behind the process to disable traction control? Also why is the TPMS fault tied to traction control?
• SVT stated that the traction control is required to be on when there is a low tire fault. This is due to government regulations. This is why traction control can not be fully turned off. They don’t have a solution, but said they would consider all 4 TPMS on display.

7. Are you aware of any issues with the power steering fading under heavy offroad use?
• No, they haven’t seen any issues. Although there has been an improved design that has gone into the reservoir and cap to prevent cavitation.

8. Why not add longer wire to the upfitter wiring under the dash and hood?
• They were not aware that it was a problem and took a poll to see how many people use the switches (almost 100%) Someone mentioned that their truck had plenty of wire when the tape was cut, but it was mentioned that most people do not have sufficient wire length. Sounded like the problem is a manufacturing error. Jamal did make sure that someone took note of the problem.

9. Are you aware of the front end clunking noise that many have that appears to be coming from the lower control arm shock mount? Some have fixed it themselves by simply tightening the lower shock mount bolt.
• They stated that it should be torqued correctly from the factory. The bolt was made a specific color to ensure there would be no mix up at the plant. Otherwise, they were not aware of an issue.

10. Would Ford consider making a locking and unlocking front sway bar?
• Possibly, they did take a poll on how many people have disconnected the sway bar.

11. Shock Perch? Why is it adjustable?
• Everything was tested and meant to remain on bottom perch. SVT advised against adjusting the perch, stating that it could hurt other components in the suspension by changing the angle they were designed for. It was then asked why it was adjustable if we shouldn’t adjust it. They stated that they had a long process with Fox to begin with as they were not used to making shocks for a road ready vehicle. They stated that the shocks are adjustable to allow people the ability to do so, but SVT DOES NOT recommend it.
• Jamal mentioned that moving up on the perch removed jounce travel and sacrifices function.

12. Why is the Frame on the 2013 reinforced, what do you have to say about the frame bending issues?
• They stated that the frame “issues” are due to driving style. They ran and finished the baja 1000 with the same frame with zero issues. He stated that just because the Raptor is highly capable doesn’t mean that you shouldn't slow down for a 5 foot ditch. The 2013 frames are reinforced due to the fact that they cannot control people overdriving their trucks.
• There is not a frame bending issue... The Raptor is not the baja raptor/raptor r/raptor xt plain and simply. You cannot expect a $50k Raptor to be the same as a $200k+ trophy truck. We (Raptor owners) have pushed and exceeded Ford/SVT expectations of what the Raptor is capable of doing. As Jamal the chief engineer of SVT Raptor program said "you can only beef up components so far and you have to draw the line somewhere“. Ford top execs and SVT never imagined the Raptor taking off like it did, or what us (enthusiast) put the Raptor through. So I state again for what the Raptor was intended design meets and exceeds Ford/SVT goals. Yes, they did add more support to the rear frame section because of the Raptor owners pushing the stock truck harder than it was designed to do. Plain and simply! -Greg

13. Would the SVT team be willing to attend the 2013 Texas raptor run?
• They stated that they love to attend events and would be interested. They asked that they be forwarded the info.

14. Would you consider putting a dead pedal in the raptor?
• Yes, they would love to and wanted to, however the dead pedal interferes with the parking brake and they could not legally install one.

15. Does the raptor have a reinforced cab compared to the standard f-150’s?
• No, the cab is exactly the same.

Jamal noted during discussion that the rear axle tubes where made thicker and the rear axle larger.

Notes about the Ford Bead locks-
• The ones that come from the factory are referred to as “Beauty Rings”
• The bead locks are made specifically for the OE tires
• The ring and hardware adds 4 lbs
• The bead lock has a patent pending for Ford
• The lock specifically locks in the tire using a wedge style design

317048_706603204998_22871948_n.jpg

480842_706603364678_86754610_n.jpg

270967_706603324758_1617854407_n.jpg

(thanks for RaptorWifey for typing a lot of this up, :flowers2: I've been swamped at work. 12 hour days since getting back from the Snoball).

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Thanks for typing all of that up!! It is cool that they were willing to meet with you. Make sure they get TRR info!!
15. Does the raptor have a reinforced cab compared to the standard f-150’s?
• No, the cab is exactly the same.
Well, that should solve that debate.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very cool info!

So on those beadlocks, that's a very cool cross section cut. So stock setup is the tire down below that inner lip, and the "Beauty rings" flush against that lip? Where with the actual bead lock rings installed, the tire gets popped outside that inner lip and sandwiched between? Not totally familiar with how beadlocks are setup.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very cool info!

So on those beadlocks, that's a very cool cross section cut. So stock setup is the tire down below that inner lip, and the "Beauty rings" flush against that lip? Where with the actual bead lock rings installed, the tire gets popped outside that inner lip and sandwiched between? Not totally familiar with how beadlocks are setup.

Yes... That is correct.. They were very careful to say it was designed to work specifically with stock tires beads and other tire manufacturer tires have NOT been tested..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)