Window Trim help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s.reef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a good cleaner/protectant/restorer for the window trim, stuff always looked weathered...

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam's Polishes Quick Sealant. Looks great, protects, and lasts a long time.

I used to use a trim dressing, but it only lasted a few washes, then went back to looking horrible.

Tomorrow evening, I will post some before/after pics, and some instructions. (Need to get to the pics on my PC, and use a real keyboard lol)

OP
OP
S

s.reef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys, Yea I've used standard stuff like meguires/mothers and it just streaks and makes it look worse then it did to start.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the first 6 months with my truck, I had used Adam's Super VRT, which is a trim dressing. It always made the window trim look great, but it would get washed off after a few weeks. The trim would then go back to looking blotchy and bleached out. The wide rubber window sill trim was the worst. The more plasticy window trim around the sides and tops was not near as bad.

BEFORE pic:

20141107_141528c.jpg

During last fall's full detailing session, I cleaned the trim really good, then applied Adam's Quick Sealant with a foam applicator. The Quick Sealant is an aerosol product. I did not spray the sealant onto the trim, so it would not end up on the glass and in the cracks. Spraying the applicator is the best method, as the sealant needs to be leveled out on the surface.

After letting it dry for a while (maybe 10-15 minutes), I wiped any residue off with a low nap microfiber towel. The waffle weave towels work good, like the Waterless Wash Towels or the Great White Microfiber Drying Towel. A plush polishing towel like the Single Soft or Double Soft tend to grab more on the rubber trim, and may leave behind some lint.

50/50 SHOT

20141107_141552.jpg

Note that the product has not leveled out yet. Make long even swipes with the foam applicator, to get the sealant as even as possible.

AFTER pic, taken the next day:

20141108_120531.jpg

Here's a photo showing the overall.

IMG_5064c.jpg

One application of Quick Sealant in the fall still looked great the next spring. For the spring full detail, I repeated the process, with the same great results.

The Steps:

1) Clean the rubber window trim with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner (APC), using a Adam's Trim Brush. DO NOT let the APC dry on the paint, or be in the direct sunlight. Work one window at a time, and rinse thoroughly before going to the next window. Since the APC will strip off any sealant or wax on your paint, this is best done when you are ready to reapply and paint protection.

2) Let the trim dry well. Sealant will not bond to a damp surface.

3) Apply Quick Sealant with a foam applicator, level evenly, allow to dry.

4) Remove any haze with a microfiber waffle weave towel.

The Quick Sealant is a excellent product. I also use it on the running boards, all texture plastic trim like the vents, and the wheels.

Check out this video:

Ryno288

Reaction score
I wrapped mine with flat black vinyl wrap. Takes a little bit of time but will be the last time you have to worry about it. Not to mention you don't have to worry about chemicals dripping down the side of your truck when wet.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrapped mine with flat black vinyl wrap. Takes a little bit of time but will be the last time you have to worry about it. Not to mention you don't have to worry about chemicals dripping down the side of your truck when wet.

Interesting, post some pics of that when you have time.

The nice thing about the Adam's Quick Sealant, is that it does not run down the side of the truck when it gets wet, like a trim dressing will.