Raptor Overland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can you point me a portable winch with synthetic rope that is strong enough to pull the weight of the truck?

Thanks.

Pretty much any winch can be mounted on a portable cradle, just make sure the cradle is rated for the winch. I'm a Superwinch fan myself and I'd go with a 12k winch for this truck.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this sounds like an incredible build, I am a bit lost.

The spare tires, accessories and such are not going to be easy to move around, yet you said your back isn't at 100%. Granted I am sure the Ms./passenger if equipped could help, but curious if extra measures were/are being done to consider that?

Not at all trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it would really suck to be stuck out somewhere and then throwing your back out due to a tire change attempt (loading/unloading tire, loosening/tightening lug nuts) or other.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this sounds like an incredible build, I am a bit lost.

The spare tires, accessories and such are not going to be easy to move around, yet you said your back isn't at 100%. Granted I am sure the Ms./passenger if equipped could help, but curious if extra measures were/are being done to consider that?

Not at all trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it would really suck to be stuck out somewhere and then throwing your back out due to a tire change attempt (loading/unloading tire, loosening/tightening lug nuts) or other.

Valid points.

Well, I don't plan to be too far out in the wilderness on my own, so I will either have a buddy as a passenger, or most likely be with at least one other 4x4. The spare wheels/tires combo will be a last resort option. I will have plugs and a C02 compressor with me which will hopefully take care of most tire issues without fubaring my back.

I'm actually considering changing my rear setup to this because I don't think I really need two spares, and even if I wanted two I could keep one spare where it is from the factory and add the second to the rack.

truck-tire-carrier.jpg

The advantage of this is that I can actually fit the decked system under the tire mount for better organization, the disadvantage is that I won't have dedicated slots for all the water/gas jugs, C02 tank, and jack ... and I'm not sure how I could organize and secure all that on top of the decked platform.

Last edited:

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe think about a Tiregate vertical mount, which is the easiest access tire carrier that I know of - maybe their pre runner mount will work with the decked drawers also, but you'd have to see.

I installed a Leitner ACS rack for fuel and water storage and I'm really impressed with it. Super solid, and rally versatile.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have their ADV rack system with my spare tire mounted up above. Wouldn't recommend that for you, plus the roof rack adds noise, nowhere near as bad without the tire on top and probably would be better with their top mount tire accessory, but I needed room for kennels so I centered it on the rack and had one custom made.

Here's their Ford options.
https://www.wilcooffroad.com/product-category/ford/

Their hitchgate might do it plus spare fuel/water.

I also have the Decked bedslide system. I like it a lot, but from what I've seen if you have money to spare the truck vault option might actually be better. I just personally couldn't justify the $ difference and have been pretty happy with my Decked overall, especially for the $.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Valid points.

Well, I don't plan to be too far out in the wilderness on my own, so I will either have a buddy as a passenger, or most likely be with at least one other 4x4. The spare wheels/tires combo will be a last resort option. I will have plugs and a C02 compressor with me which will hopefully take care of most tire issues without fubaring my back.

I'm actually considering changing my rear setup to this because I don't think I really need two spares, and even if I wanted two I could keep one spare where it is from the factory and add the second to the rack.

truck-tire-carrier.jpg

The advantage of this is that I can actually fit the decked system under the tire mount for better organization, the disadvantage is that I won't have dedicated slots for all the water/gas jugs, C02 tank, and jack ... and I'm not sure how I could organize and secure all that on top of the decked platform.

I've not seen that spare tire mount before. Is it supported/suspended solely from both side rails of the Raptor? If so that's not something I personally would ever consider as having that much weight suspended can't be good for the truck, side rails or handling off road.

And while I like the idea of the decked system it's a lot of weight (and cost) and because of that, on a truck like the Raptor, it's not (again IMO) a good solution for storing items. I wouldn't hesitate to have such a system on a standard pickup or Super Duty but I'd probably make my own - a lot less costly, more fun to do and very custom.

In regard to drawers and storage - here's information that some folks will be interested in...

Post up your drawer/storage system - Expedition Portal

Reaction score
I've not seen that spare tire mount before. Is it supported/suspended solely from both side rails of the Raptor? If so that's not something I personally would ever consider as having that much weight suspended can't be good for the truck, side rails or handling off road.

And while I like the idea of the decked system it's a lot of weight (and cost) and because of that, on a truck like the Raptor, it's not (again IMO) a good solution for storing items. I wouldn't hesitate to have such a system on a standard pickup or Super Duty but I'd probably make my own - a lot less costly, more fun to do and very custom.

In regard to drawers and storage - here's information that some folks will be interested in...

Post up your drawer/storage system - Expedition Portal

The tire carrier mounts to our steel chase rack, which is also pictured. Plenty of support for a single tire.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tire carrier mounts to our steel chase rack, which is also pictured. Plenty of support for a single tire.

Cool. Sorry, not familiar with your Chase Rack. I see it now suspending a spare tire.

M143866500.jpg

Last edited: