Ford's new 4.8 v8 - Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilligan

Reaction score
I think it's gonna make a lot of the 'you'll never see a v8 in the gen2' crowd eat their words!

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note. I don't get the big deal about this news. They know they have buyers that still want a V8 that if one wasn't offfered that they would probably lose to competition, so they're going to continue to develop a V8.

This replaces the current 5.0 and will produce more hp/tq and be more efficient due to better tech. This is not the halo engine. This is a mass production engine.

Now if the report was Ford is developing a TT 4.8L V8, then we would have something to talk about. Good on Ford for continuing to advance tech and not sit on their current engines

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I think it's gonna make a lot of the 'you'll never see a v8 in the gen2' crowd eat their words!

I just don't see it man. As I said above. This replaces the 5.0. Maybe and it's a big maybe, if they announce a FI version of this motor we could see it. If we do, guess what...I'll probably buy it

Gilligan

Reaction score
On a side note. I don't get the big deal about this news. They know they have buyers that still want a V8 that if one wasn't offfered that they would probably lose to competition, so they're going to continue to develop a V8.

This replaces the current 5.0 and will produce more hp/tq and be more efficient due to better tech. This is not the halo engine. This is a mass production engine.

Now if the report was Ford is developing a TT 4.8L V8, then we would have something to talk about. Good on Ford for continuing to advance tech and not sit on their current engines

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I just don't see it man. As I said above. This replaces the 5.0. Maybe and it's a big maybe, if they announce a FI version of this motor we could see it. If we do, guess what...I'll probably buy it

Hey I can hope lol

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see this essentially being the direct-injection version of the Coyote... perhaps with the bores shrunk slightly to optimize flame-front travel during combustion.

Either way, I don't see it out-powering the 3.5L EB HO in the Gen2 Raptor without force-feeding... and in THAT regard, I don't know that I see such a big engine change for the Raptor after only a single model year. Think about all the stuff that would have to be changed... everything from front suspension calibration (to deal with different weight/distribution) to the exhaust system to the transmission calibration... not to mention that there may be crash certification considerations to a change of that sort. IF we see a force-fed V8 in a (factory) Raptor any time soon, I'm betting that it will be a special edition of it (i.e., Shelby, etc...) at a premium price point.

Or I could be full of shit... your choice.

Gilligan

Reaction score
I won't steal your Dreams. Be a Dreamer. I'll even create a safe zone for you.

No one in the Gen2 subforums is allowed to pick on @Gilligan if you do you'll be permanently banned to FR2

appreciated. No safety pins for me though, I don't wanna hurt myself with the pin.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So they may or may not eventually do a bigger, bader, faster, cooler V8 Raptor. So.... If the Gen 2 truck and motor lives up to it's hype I'll me tickled to death with it. I've said since 2010 when the 3.5 Eco was introduced that if they'd put that motor in the Raptor they'd sell the hell out of it. That's just my personal opinion though.

I learned a long time a go that you can always wait for a better version of what they offer now. Problem is you're always waiting and never end up buying.