Word of caution for out of state buyers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noahp887

Reaction score
Glad we don't have emissions testing in Michigan! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in CA or a Green state your truck must have either "CA emissions" or "CA emissions for non CA registration". If not your state WILL NOT register and title that vehicle.

Apparently the new 3.5 eco's both Raptor and regular show on the under hood sticker that they are CA emission compliant but DO NOT have it on the CO (Certificate of Origin) where it has to be for titling and registration.

1st statement is FALSE:
California DOES have a process for registering the new Raptors. I, along with many others, are the proof.

2nd statement is FALSE:
Yes, the stickers ARE all the same but California DOES NOT require the CofO. Unfortunately, according to others on the forum, there ARE states who have "adopted" the CA Emissions Cert. that have gone overboard to the point of not allowing registration without showing the option of the CofO.

It's been stated elsewhere that the sad irony is that the state who created this standard is more flexible that other states who have adopted it! Problem with ALL states is that they haven't caught up with the newest placarding from Ford!!

OP
OP

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1st statement is FALSE:
California DOES have a process for registering the new Raptors. I, along with many others, are the proof.

2nd statement is FALSE:
Yes, the stickers ARE all the same but California DOES NOT require the CofO. Unfortunately, according to others on the forum, there ARE states who have "adopted" the CA Emissions Cert. that have gone overboard to the point of not allowing registration without showing the option of the CofO.

It's been stated elsewhere that the sad irony is that the state who created this standard is more flexible that other states who have adopted it! Problem with ALL states is that they haven't caught up with the newest placarding from Ford!!

I'm glad it's been figured out how to get around that in CA. Here in PA if a new vehicle doesn't have CA emission or the equivalent we can't sell it. Some of our adjoining states don't require the same emissions as PA. So we have to be careful when we dealer trade units in from out of state.

Also a member here from NY bought a non CA emissions truck and couldn't get it registered.

So buyers be ware of your states emission requirements before you order or buy an out of state vehicle.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally true. Its pretty stupid when the state that created this bs does not even follow it. Here in NY your title or Certificate of origin has to say "Certified for sale in California". If it does not the truck has to have 7000 miles and be previously registered before you can register it here. In Ny you go to the dmv before the emissions check. So even if the truck is 50 state(I know it is) they dont care because the paper does not say it. My out of state dealer was able to get an additional allocation from Ford for this mistake. I had to wait another 3 months but it was totally worth it.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The obvious question to me is this: "Why doesn't Ford make all Raptors 50 state vehicles since they all meet CA requirements?"

And, while I like to blame Kalifornia for over-taxing, over-regulating and generally going overboard in a bad way, it seems that Ford could/should have produced all Raptors as 50 state vehicles.

Why didn't they?

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The obvious question to me is this: "Why doesn't Ford make all Raptors 50 state vehicles since they all meet CA requirements?"

And, while I like to blame Kalifornia for over-taxing, over-regulating and generally going overboard in a bad way, it seems that Ford could/should have produced all Raptors as 50 state vehicles.

Why didn't they?

Originally I thought it was too save money by avoiding CA emissions warranty on trucks sold in non-CA emissions states, but that doesn't seem to apply as the criteria for warranty are 1) CA emissions sticker (which they've all got) and 2) registered in CA emissions state, so people outside those states can't take advantage of it regardless.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't overthink this. You're dealing with the DMV, California, and Ecological Politics.

Multiple that by the automotive industry and I think you can figure out the "why"!

The only good news, as anyone who's grown up in SoCal can attest to, is that we can now SEE our mountains and haven't experienced a Stage 2 Smog Alert in decades.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Hey @WhatExit?, BTW...I got so worked up over the stupidity of this whole thing, that I have considered writing a letter of protest to start the process of change. But, again, I really can't identify the source yet.

Welcome to politics!