CA registering out of state new vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p0verty

Reaction score
Anyone have any gouge on purchasing a NEW Raptor out of state and then registering it the state of Kalifornia?

I know there are some restrictions for registering a nearly-new, already registered out of state vehicle.

I want to make sure they won’t give me a hard time at the DMV when I purchase a Raptor from Nebraska and drive it home.

I previously fought with the CA DMV for three months when I had an idiot DMV employee erroneously mark a used car as “gray market” and then proceeded to tell me it couldn’t be registered. It was a MAJOR pain to get that fixed.

Last edited:

raptorzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt be any issues,
I purchased a raptor from texas and drove it back to CA

to register you will need to:

Smog

Get a weight certificate- since raptors are considered commercial
- i went to a local truck stop that weighs vehicles, costed me $15

VIN check
- can be done at dmv for free

And a bank check to dmv for any remaining registration fees

Burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same experience - I haven't had any issues bringing cars into Cali that I bought out of state whether new or used. For trucks, even a used Ranger I recently purchased used I had to get it weighted - so lame.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A little tip. Use one of the DMV surrogates for a few buck and save yourself the hassle of having to actually go to CA DMV. Well worth it.
This exactly. My dealer on the east coast did the CA registration for me and my plates came in the mail within 1 month. It wasn’t much extra

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
Anyone have any gouge on purchasing a NEW Raptor out of state and then registering it the state of Kalifornia?

I know there are some restrictions for registering a nearly-new, already registered out of state vehicle.

I want to make sure they won’t give me a hard time at the DMV when I purchase a Raptor from Nebraska and drive it home.

I previously fought with the CA DMV for three months when I had an idiot DMV employee erroneously mark a used car as “gray market” and then proceeded to tell me it couldn’t be registered. It was a MAJOR pain to get that fixed.
I’m picking up a new truck in Nebraska as well and live in SoCal, what dealer?!

OP
OP
p0verty

p0verty

Reaction score
I’m picking up a new truck in Nebraska as well and live in SoCal, what dealer?!
I placed a 37pp order with Woodhouse Ford in Omaha on Jan 26th, but I haven’t gotten a VIN so probably no allocation yet.

I was told April-May ish, but we’ll see if Ford can get their act together by then…

Last edited:

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
I placed a 37pp order with Woodhouse Ford in Omaha on Jan 26th, but I haven’t gotten a VIN so probably no allocation yet.

I was told April-May ish, but we’ll see if Ford can get their act together by then…
Nice! My trucks through Baxter Ford, 801A already built, just awaiting release, hoping to hear any day now that its shipping.

OP
OP
p0verty

p0verty

Reaction score
Nice! My trucks through Baxter Ford, 801A already built, just awaiting release, hoping to hear any day now that its shipping.
If you end up processing the registration with a 3rd Party, please let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
p0verty

p0verty

Reaction score
A little tip. Use one of the DMV surrogates for a few buck and save yourself the hassle of having to actually go to CA DMV. Well worth it.
Any recommendations for a DMV "surrogate"?

Are there companies/individuals that do this?