Conflicting Dealer Information -Out of state purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mfpf4r

Reaction score
Hi all, I live in California and am looking to purchase a new Raptor out of state for MSRP. I found 2 dealers that are willing to sell at MSRP but I'm getting conflicting information from the two.

Dealer 1 - Located in Minnesota, stated I need to be in-office to sign final paperwork upon delivery. Then called back about 10 minutes later stating they cannot sell to me in California as the Raptor is a "specialty vehicle" so they would lose an allocation if they sold to me. Stated they could sell to someone in Wisconsin but California was "outside the range". I asked for clarification and they need to check back with the GSM and call me back.

Dealer 2 - Located in Colorado, stated I can do all purchasing remote and they would ship the vehicle to my doorstep. Never mentioned anything about me needing to come into the dealership to sign paperwork. Never mentioned they cannot sell to out of "range" customers.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different dealers operate with different rules. Lots of them will tell you they’d sell Out of State but there will be a $5k surcharge. I have found dealers have been burned by Out of State purchases and tend to make it more difficult.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're comparing MN to CO which are different states and different dealers. I don't think you'll get the correct answer from the forum for your use case. Just get the CO since it seems easier.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought my truck in 2019 from Missouri,live in OR,paid cash(may be is the difference ) and the truck was shipped without problem. was the 4 of July and get hold in SFO for 4 days!:banghead:
go to the DMV and got license plate,may be CA is different.
have a 2024 ordered same way:OR,CA and WA have all mark-up.

Attachments

• Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 15

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the dealer policy, especially the ones here in MN that sell at sticker (and also sold me a 2020 at invoice). They would rather sell locally and get your reoccurring service business and a chance at your trade-in in the future than just transactional. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
M

mfpf4r

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone. The Colorado dealer doesn't have the exact build I want so they're attempting to work trades etc.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate and respect Midwest dealers that would rather cater to their own than the people like us from the land of fruits and nuts. It’s not in my best interest, but I don’t disagree with it.