why did you decide to get a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giffordt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had owned my my 2010 Tahoe for nearly 6 long months and was approaching 6000 miles. I HAD to get rid the "old", "high mileage" SUV. :wave:

Actually, I loved the Raptor at first sight but needed/wanted the extra room of the SCrew, which wasn't announced at the time of the Tahoe purchase. Not long after driving the Tahoe off the lot I learned the SCrew would be produced so I said F-it and ordered the Raptor. Obviously not the best fiscal decision I've ever made, but having the most bad-ass production truck on the planet was worth it. Have not regretted it one bit.

kjbeggs

Reaction score
Long version:
When the 2004 F-150 was released, I bought a Lariat SCab with the 6.5' bed (which just barely fit in my garage. A few years later, getting remarried and gaining an instant family, I really wished I'd sacrificed some bed length and gotten an SCrew.
I had been following the impending release of the Raptor, but was disappointed an SCrew wouldn't be offered. So I hung on to the Lariat, and longed for the day a SCrew Raptor might become a reality.
That's when fate stepped in and my 2004 Lariat developed a major engine problem.
I traded it in on a 2009 SCrew Lariat, which was a great truck, loaded to the gills. Soon after, the SCrew Raptor was released (Damnit!).
By late 2010, with gas prices creeping up over $4.00 a gallon, and a 90 minute daily commute to work, I came to a decision that it was time for my truck to go. I got a great deal on a 2008 BMW 535i, lowered my payment by over $100 and saved a good bit on gas (but I missed my truck, especially on trips to Home Depot).
Then on November 13th, fate stepped in again. On the coldest day we'd seen all year, on my way to work, the 535i's engine overheated (likely due to a fault in the thermostat). I pulled over onto the widest shoulder I could find, just a few feet from the Toll "booth", and sat there a few minutes trying to decide if I should call roadside assistance. Next thing I knew something shoved me forward about 100 feet. another driver had drifted out of the right lane and plowed into the rear quarter of my car.
A few days later, I found out my car had been deemed a total loss. so with a clean slate, gas prices trending downward, and now working from home 1-2 days a week, it was RAPTOR time!
I spent a couple days haggling over price, and weighing the options between the Raptor or another 535i (at least I told my wife I was weighing the options), and a few days later my new 2013 Raptor was home!
396684_515243518486066_1634396507_n.jpg

135031_516788534998231_242692518_o.jpg

Short version: When I saw my first Black Raptor, I thought "That's Batman's Truck!", and i had to have one.

kjbeggs

Reaction score
damn, KJ, good thing you didnt get out of the car. And congrats on the Bat-mobile :waytogo:

I actually did get out and check under the hood. I was standing in front of the car, probably less than two minutes before she hit me!
she had no idea what even happened. when I went to make sure she was OK, her iPad was in her lap, so I wonder if she was looking at a map when she hit me.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because i had to drive a crz for a year (car pool lane), 1 hour each way to work for a year in that soul robbing pile of mush.

Left that job and got one where i could work from home, picked it up jan 12 and found a new job where im commuting again. (whoopsies)

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed a truck and started looking around, looked into a Raptor. Mentioned to my Dad I wanted one and he said "If you can afford it and want one, why not just get one?" his logic was sound so I ordered mine about a week later.

Temple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PT Cruiser was out of production so I went with the next baddest thing.

But seriously, I've always wanted an SVT vehicle but the Raptor is the first that offered 4-wheel drive and an extended cab.

My 01 F250 Lariat V10 served me faithfully for almost 9 years and it was time for something new. I first considered keeping the 01 and getting a 2013 GT Mustang but common sense prevailed. I now have one vehicle that serves as a daily driver year round
and holds its value better than anything out there. A bad ass vehicle at that and we all know what a head turner it is.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why I want one:
-Badass truck
-Fast
-Drives great (been on a couple test drives)
-Looks great
-Capable
-Great resale
-Fits in most parking garages (a lifted Platinum wouldn't)
-Very few of them

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Raptor because I wanted performance as well as something that I can use as a truck. I like the unique look and the endless mod possibilities. The Shelby is cool, but is pretty limited. I like the off road part of owning a Raptor. You can hammer on it and not worry about the law busting you.