Why did ford put a 6.2 in the raptor instead of the ecoboost engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbonemcniel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the advantage u think u would see from an ecoboost?

If that was referring to my Ecoboost 5.0 idea, don't tell me y'all wouldn't like that. The new 5.0's are fantastic motors. Waaaay more technologically advanced then our 6.2's. They make more power by throwing a rock at 'em, and in stock trim in a regular Mustang GT makes more power than our 6.2's. Much less the Boss version. Now lower the CR half a point, put the internals out of the Boss 5.0 (forged), and throw twin turbo's on it.... Now you're talking a motor! 550 hp at a measly 5 psi I bet. And with twins, instant hit, no boost lag like in a big single setup.

Turn the wick up, and 800 would be a walk in the park. With a 7000 rpm redline, and the torque turbos make, you'd have power at every point in the curve.

THAT, I would gladly trade my 6.2 for. But not an EcoBoost V6...

tbonemcniel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw. No such thing as overpowered. My Gen 1 Lightning has crank estimated 780 (640 tires), and that's a reg cab short bed 2wd. These big four door 4x4's need moah powah!

That being said, I do kind of enjoy my Raptor at stock power level. I can just floor it, without having to worry about getting sideways every time I do, and stuff like that. And it's got more balls than I expected (especially when passing), must be due to the massive torque, 6-spd, and 4.10's.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Naw. No such thing as overpowered. My Gen 1 Lightning has crank estimated 780 (640 tires), and that's a reg cab short bed 2wd. These big four door 4x4's need moah powah!

That being said, I do kind of enjoy my Raptor at stock power level. I can just floor it, without having to worry about getting sideways every time I do, and stuff like that. And it's got more balls than I expected (especially when passing), must be due to the massive torque, 6-spd, and 4.10's.

Yes.. The stock Raptor is plenty powerful and fast enough offroad as is. There are other upgrades that need to be done before increasing the horsepower..

Stock suspension can be easily overpowered and overdriven with stock engine.

Once you upgrade suspension, you are easily driving at speeds offroad that calls for a rollcage and harnesses.

Just ask sprsnk his Raptor has been driven hard and broken almost every stock part with stock engine!

This is an offroad truck and not a street queen lightning.. Two different worlds!

-Greg

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo... I would love the boost in this truck... Imagine changing the exhaust and getting 60-80 hp gain... dam that would be awesome...

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.. The stock Raptor is plenty powerful and fast enough offroad as is. There are other upgrades that need to be done before increasing the horsepower..

Once you upgrade suspension, you are easily driving at speeds offroad that calls for a rollcage and harnesses.

Just ask sprsnk his Raptor has been driven hard and broken almost every stock part with stock engine!

This is an offroad truck and not a street queen lightning.. Two different worlds!

-Greg

Stock engine, transmission and drive shaft! :lol2:

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I snapped an axle with my 5.4! so did RPG I believe. Its rare but has happened, and both times were in the dirt, not brake stands on the street. Although if properly designed, a turbo v8, maybe something like a 5.0 or even smaller would be pretty badass. Mercedes and BMW make stupid power with 4.4 liter V8s.

tbonemcniel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-Greg

Agreed, but there's no rule you have to go WOT all the time. Just because it's there, doesn't you have to use it coming out of every corner, but it's nice to have it available on tap if need be.