Ford Performance - Tune for the HO ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to hope too that since the 3.5 Ford Performance Engine MIGHT be able to handle a little more than a 2.7 Bronco non-performance version. I guess time will tell and we will see. :emotions33:
we know it can from the significant gains tuners area already extracting from the 3.5. the 2.7 also takes to tuning well as does the 3.0 in the braptor.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been a good thread thank you everyone input it’s much appreciated. Great groups of people on here.

MikeyP87

Reaction score
If this is anything like the FP Explorer ST tune, it's worthless. Has a 3yr powertrain warranty? Ooooo fan-diddily-tastic. How many people are having engine problems with Goosetuned? Zero?

The FP tune on the Explorer ST adds around 20hp and updates the transmission to the latest crappy factory tune. 0.3 sec reduction in quarter mile time? Super sick! Whereas ZFG (essentially the Goosetuned equivalent for ExST, the go-to tune for that platform) adds 75hp on 93, a transmission tune that is lightyears better than the FP **** (whoops I mean tune), and a whole bunch of other cool stuff. All while having ZERO reports of engine problems.

Yes it's nice to see more options, but knowing the other FP tunes out there, I would just steer clear and get a real tune.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here doubts the Goosetuned reputation, but it’s essentially a binary choice.
You either keep your powertrain warranty OR put on a 3rd party tune. If you choose the latter and some time down the road you lose a hard part in the powertrain, you stand a significant chance of having to cover it yourself. I can see some situations where it would possibly not be a concern - cam phasers, someone overfills the transmission in service, transfer case fails due to a defect .. If your stealership has some common sense, there should be no coverage issue but, if there’s a major engine or transmission issue, or a turbocharger issue... that’s another story.

that’s why so many are Jonesing for the factory-ish tune.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here doubts the Goosetuned reputation, but it’s essentially a binary choice.
You either keep your powertrain warranty OR put on a 3rd party tune. If you choose the latter and some time down the road you lose a hard part in the powertrain, you stand a significant chance of having to cover it yourself. I can see some situations where it would possibly not be a concern - cam phasers, someone overfills the transmission in service, transfer case fails due to a defect .. If your stealership has some common sense, there should be no coverage issue but, if there’s a major engine or transmission issue, or a turbocharger issue... that’s another story.

its already in there... :)

MikeyP87

Reaction score

You're 100% right. And I, like most here, don't want to grenade the motor and have a dealer laugh at us when we ask for warranty coverage.

However, we have data to look back on. We're 3 years into Goose having tunes for the Gen 3 and I have yet to see popping motors and warranties being denied. This tells me he knows what he's doing with the tune and it's safe. Yes it's a risk, but the historic data tells me it's a low risk. SO great, FP puts a guarantee on their tune, it makes you feel all warm and toasty inside. Makes you feel good. But really they sold you a guaranteed *************. They took a dump (and a ProCal) in a box and marked it guaranteed. But for my sake, for my daughter's sake, I'll buy a quality tune. Well, I will when Cobb gets the 23s figured out.

And looking at the historical experiences of FP tunes on EcoBoost motors, the warm and toasty feeling of a "warranty" doesn't outweigh the uselessness of the tune.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I agree with you... It’s the tune when added to the truck that suffers the one off power train issue. it’s not that the tune is killing the motor/trans, unduly harming the motor/trans or we would all know about it.

It’s a roll of the dice that you don’t have a bum turbo, or some transfer case malfunction - we’ve had a few of those. T/C is wholly separate from any performance tuning, but if you increase the power, Ford can swear under oath that the tuning was likely to cause the failure and they do stand a chance of being believed by those who would matter; jurors.

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dont drive like you stole it. I learned the hardway with my 6.4PS......but i knew what i was getting into when i started modding that.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're 100% right. And I, like most here, don't want to grenade the motor and have a dealer laugh at us when we ask for warranty coverage.

However, we have data to look back on. We're 3 years into Goose having tunes for the Gen 3 and I have yet to see popping motors and warranties being denied. This tells me he knows what he's doing with the tune and it's safe. Yes it's a risk, but the historic data tells me it's a low risk. SO great, FP puts a guarantee on their tune, it makes you feel all warm and toasty inside. Makes you feel good. But really they sold you a guaranteed *************. They took a dump (and a ProCal) in a box and marked it guaranteed. But for my sake, for my daughter's sake, I'll buy a quality tune. Well, I will when Cobb gets the 23s figured out.

And looking at the historical experiences of FP tunes on EcoBoost motors, the warm and toasty feeling of a "warranty" doesn't outweigh the uselessness of the tune.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mikey, I would bet you have an aftermarket tune. Side note, my guess, and by a large percentage, that the market for a small tune that adds warranty than any tune that would void it is WAY larger. This would be FP target audience, should one get released. Note, I'm not saying the aftermarket tunes are not amazing and the way to go. If Cobb was out for the 23's I'd already be an adopter, just like I was JB4 on my M3, now M Engineering with my 911 and Big B on the Benz. Basically, I think you're bashing an option that is designed for a segment of owners (not you and me) that the aftermarket tune does not appeal to. Nothing wrong with that. .02c