Phasers - From the top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
spack

spack

Reaction score
Maybe. Depends on how often the event in my post happens. Like whether it does it every time. There are other places in a longer version of that trace where the same conditions exist and there is no locking. Also the above trace is with the forscan method of disabling autoSS. Suppose that prevents the shutoff but does not influence the ECU’s prep for it. Whereas putting it in sport mode, or disabling autoSS may be more fundamental in removing start/stop from an operations strategy. Bottom line is I’ve only speculated as to why the phasers locked in the trace I showed. Without more work it will remain speculation

disabling SS is up to the individual. If the question is does it change phaser life minimally or not at all, I don’t know. I’m pretty sure it won’t change a lot. AutoSS for me is irritating. It makes sense with a Prius because a Prius doesn’t have a starter, starter solenoid, or flywheel pinion. It comes for free. In a car with a starter motor, no thanks

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also keeps the heat from really heating in the winter, so i just disable that crap for my climate control!

OP
OP
spack

spack

Reaction score
if you get bored one day, id be interested.
The attached is autoSS in action. Ive removed a few traces that don't need to be there. From top to bottom we have:
- Phaser Closed loop control indication
- Exhaust 1 PWM
- Intake 1 PWM
- Exhaust 1 Actual Phaser angle
- Intake 1 Actual Phaser Angle
- Accelerator Pedal Position
- Oil Pressure
- Engine RPM

Actual positions aren't required but they are there

At time 368.xx I get off the gas, roll to a stop. The ECU:
- parks the phaser as indicated by 0% PWM. That is max park directive and no lock pin pressure.
- goes open loop
- the engine RPM and oil pressure drop to zero. We are auto stopped.

At time 370.xx, I let off the brake and the ECU
- Applies unpark pressure to both PWMs while cranking the engine
- Re-pressures the homing side of the phasers
- goes closed loop
- returns PWMs to non-zero controlling levels

At time 392.xx I have autoSS disabled with the button. However, after coming to a stop, you see it stays closed loop but the phasers get parked. This does not happen every time and I didn't spend enough time to understand the pattern. But sometimes I waited a long time and they did not park. I have capture of that if anyone needs to see it. @dsiggi comment on autoss disabled being a moot point is a fair point. I can only note that autoss parks every time, and autoss disable parks sometimes. So how much does autoss disabled gain? Beats me.

With autoSS enabled, the sequence is always as shown at the beginning of this capture. The phasers are ALWAYs parked and openloop follows just before the engine shuts down.

If annotation is required, let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    140.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter